Thread: Climb-Utah.com turns 15 today

Climb-Utah.com turns 15 today

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Climb-Utah.com turns 15 today. A story on Climbing Grand Teton is the first item ever posted to the website. I posted the trip report to the web so I could learn how to create a website and program in HTML, it was just a personal learning experience for me. I had no intention or thoughts of the website growing into what you now know. The original article was just something I had lying around the office I had written earlier and was not selected for any special reason other than it was right at hand. The next few items I posted were trip reports of a couple canyoneering adventures I had done. People looked at the pictures and read the trip reports and began emailing me for more information so they could duplicate some of my trips. I soon got tired of answering all the emails personally so I started placing route descriptions in my trip reports, which is similar to what many now do, but it was kind of rare back when the internet was still brand new. The website exploded in popularity soon after when the "Circle of Friends" was created, which was originally intend as a way for me to share information with my inner circle of friends.

Thanks to everyone who has supported and been a part of the Climb-Utah over the years. I have made a lot of great friends through the website, which to me has always been its greatest value.

Name:  redcave01.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  25.1 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Congrats!

Tom

Your site has led me on many fine adventures! Happy birthday and hopefully many more!

Quote Originally Posted by pigburner View Post
    Your site has led me on many fine adventures! Happy birthday and hopefully many more!
    Ditto!

Shane, your beta has been the facilitator of many good trips! Thank you!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Congratulations, Shane
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    Ditto!

Shane, your beta has been the facilitator of many good trips! Thank you!
    Double ditto - it's been a great help to some great trips!

If you are interested this is what the front page of Climb-Utah looked like in 2000.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000517...homestead.com/

And by 2001 it had grown to this

https://web.archive.org/web/20010721...homestead.com/

Adding Heaps to the website was a big deal, as that was the first publicly available beta for the canyon. It also opened up the Phantom Valley entrance as most groups doing Heaps before us, which was only 1 or 2 a year, were using the Gunsight Entrance.

Fun stuff. Here's my canyon beta website from the same date:

https://web.archive.org/web/20000613...utah/index.htm

and from 2001:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010826...tah/latest.htm

It is amazing how few canyons you did, Shane, before plunging into Heaps with the always-cheery Mel Brown!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    It is amazing how few canyons you did, Shane, before plunging into Heaps with the always-cheery Mel Brown!
    I had done more canyons than are listed, mostly around Lake Powell from our boats, but I didn't keep detailed records or route descriptions until I decided to start posting to the inter-web's. I didn't discover Zion canyons until 1999 when a friend showed me Subway and Pine Creek.

But after canyoneering around Lake Powell doing canyons in Zion was like making love to a fat girl... slow and easy...

But yeah, I probably was not as well prepared as I should have been when I first did Heaps.

Downtown Mel Brown and I after the final rappel in Heaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Downtown Mel Brown and I after the final rappel in Heaps.

wow, crazy low water back then. I remember doing Pine Creek in the same era with the only wetness being a 5' damp spot in one of the narrowest passages. Cathedral bottom was a lovely white sand beach.

Here is a fun one for ya.... a couple month's after the Heaps trip I did Imlay in October 2001 with Tom Jones and Kip Marshall. It was the first trip through Imlay for all three of us and we really didn't know what to expect. Yesterday I was just thinking about that trip because it was over UEA weekend, which is this coming weekend.

Name:  Imlay1.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  71.3 KB

And the first canyon I ever did with Hank Moon I believe was Gravel Canyon followed the next day by Leprechaun, also in October 2001.

Name:  Leprechaun4.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  45.9 KB

Love your site. Enabled me to pick up this great sport of canyoneering with friends as well as with my wife and two young daughters!

Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Love your site. Enabled me to pick up this great sport of canyoneering with friends as well as with my wife and two young daughters!
    I have always tried to make sure there was plenty of family friendly adventures on Climb-Utah.com, which is one of the things that makes it different from some of the others.

Tap'n on my smart phone.

19. Likes Sandstone Addiction, ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Here is a fun one for ya.... a couple month's after the Heaps trip I did Imlay in October 2001 with Tom Jones and Kip Marshall. It was the first trip through Imlay for all three of us and we really didn't know what to expect. Yesterday I was just thinking about that trip because it was over UEA weekend, which is this coming weekend.

And the first canyon I ever did with Hank Moon I believe was Gravel Canyon followed the next day by Leprechaun, also in October 2001.
    With Scott Holley, actually. Fun Trip.

Tom

Congrats on your site and thank you for all of the info you share....
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Great to hear the story behind Climb-Utah Shane. I certainly appreciate your work and hope to get out in a canyon with you one of these days.

Christopher