Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help. Lost Drone (DJI Phantom 2)

What is "Finders Keepers"?
    It means what it says. Nelson was saying that whoever finds the drone keeps it. It's the American way.

Anyway, if this was an item that was innocently lost, I'm sure more people would be helpful. It's just that a lot of people don't like illegal drones in the National Parks, for reasons stated above. I guess if I was in the area (but I'm not), I would get it for you and give it back as long as you promised never to use it in a National Park again. Someone will probably get it eventually since it is litter, but they may not give it back.

Also, why didn't you try and get it yourself? I assume that the cliff band was blocking access? Did you try and climb down to it?

PS, your email address is Russian. Your name doesn't sound Russian though. Where are you from?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-Yun View Post
    People, I asked for help, and got problems only

What is it "Finders keepers" ?

You are attempting to coerce people to participate in your illegal activity, however obliquely. This is not a polite thing to do on a public forum.

You abandoned equipment in a public place.

US laws vary from place to place, but generally if you abandon equipment, whoever finds it can keep it. We call this "Finders Keepers". In this case, since the equipment was used in an illegal activity, I think the land manager would expect it to be turned in to them.

Sorry that you ran afoul of the regulations in the Park. Drones are new, so these regulations are not necessarily well-known.

Tom

4. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    "Finders Keepers" is actually an archaic (but valid) English common law regarding the ownership of lost property, certainly pre-dating the 14th century, but derived probably from Roman or Viking common law (yes, we got invaded).

It asserts that if a property is lost, then the owners no longer needs it (owns it) therefore the finder asserts ownership thereof.

I'm sure the American ruling is broadly the same.

There is an interesting similarity with the age-old but still-used law of salvage, particularly applicable to maritime wrecks, but also (in modern times) to the finding of gold and other valuable hoards in farmers fields where there is no known owner (Treasure Trove) The finder keeps the money...sometimes millions...but has to share equally with the landowner.

However, in this case of the lost drone, the apparent owner has not "lost" it (in the legal sense), but any party who returns it to him is due salvage, which in a salvage court would normally amount to 50% of the value.

There's quite a well-known case of a Harrier jump-jet landing on a civilian cargo ship due to an airborne emergency. The ship's owner was awarded salvage under Lloyds Open Form.

But I don't suppose 50% of the value of this drone is worth the effort.

I didn't know it was illegal.
    You don't have signs o fwhat not to do, such as Singapore, Japan, Europe, even in Russia there are many signs that you cannot do! If i see sign "no flying drones" i never fly here.
    Come to us in Russia and you will see real kind and good people which will always help

PS, your email address is Russian. Your name doesn't sound Russian though. Where are you from?
    I am from Russia, Moscow

Hey, mr. find keeper, if you find my quadrocopter let me know, please

Wow this thread took a turn for the weird....

I didn't know it was a crime to fly them drones through a National Park either...but I don't own a drone either, so I'm ignorant on all the drone rulez and regz.

Just wondering....if the drone was lost out in the Grand Canyon somewhere, how could the ranger cite him with a lack of evidence? (assuming he approached the ranger without a controller in hand)
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

I didn't know it was a crime to fly them drones through a National Park either...but I don't own a drone either, so I'm ignorant on all the drone rulez and regz.

Just wondering....if the drone was lost out in the Grand Canyon somewhere, how could the ranger cite him with a lack of evidence? (assuming he approached the ranger without a controller in hand)
    Rangers can cite you with NO evidence.

It can be contested, but such low-level fines rarely are.

Ranger: "what have you been up to?"

Me: "enjoying a beautiful day in our National Park".

Besides, it sounds like he did not have NO evidence. The perp stated that he was doing an illegal activity. So he perhaps had no evidence OTHER than the statement of the perp. If it went to court, they would likely fetch the hard evidence.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post

I don't own or want a drone either. But it's been in the news over the last few months. As I recall, Zion NP was the first or one of the first to officially ban them. Then the NP followed within a couple weeks. It was in the park papers after that as I visited various NPS areas.

Come to us in Russia and you will see real kind and good people which will always help
    I've been there and to 44 other countries as well. I hate to say it, but overall, Russia was the least friendly country I have been to. The drivers are some of the worst and least friendly in the world, and many people try to rip you off. The police are notoriously corrupt and threaten to throw you in jail if you don’t give them money. It's the only country where this has happened to me. Maybe if you aren't a foreigner, it's different though.

I did find the rural areas to be reasonably friendly though, but not the cities.

I wouldn't doubt if it would take a back country permit to retrieve your drone legally.

You don’t need a permit for day hikes (even off trail), only overnighters.

I would think that if they gave you a ticket for flying it, they would have let you retrieve it or done it themselves.
    I’m pretty sure that they would let him retrieve it. It is perfectly legal to hike off trail there. In fact, after looking at the location carefully, it appears to be either along or close to the approach to the technical climb of Mount Hayden.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most Bogley members live hundreds of miles/kms from Imperial Point. I don't think many of them friendly or not would make a special trip out there just to retrieve a drone for someone. You would be better off asking around the visitor center itself.

Also, keep in mind that the road to Imperial Point will be closed for the winter in only a few days.

I'm sorry (really) that you lost your drone and understand that it was an accident and that you didn't know the rules, but I think the fact that people are crashing drones (you are not the only one) in the National Parks makes a good case for the rule.

Is there a reason you are unable to look for the drone yourself? It would not be illegal to do so and I'm sure the NPS would actually appreciate it if it were removed. Did you try and it was too hard to get to?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Did you try and it was too hard to get to?
    No, i don't try, because i don't know safe trails.
    But on another forum told that can be reached without climbing equipment on the way to Mount Hayden
    Scott thank you for help

You could have been using your drone as a peeping Tom

Pervert Turns His Drone Into A Peeping Tom: http://youtu.be/U9cw-PaXJwU

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    You could have been using your drone as a peeping Tom

Pervert Turns His Drone Into A Peeping Tom: http://youtu.be/U9cw-PaXJwU

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Yeah, to spy on all of those bikini clad babes sunbathing on some distant nearly impossible to reach crag overlooking the grand canyon...

There's a big difference between the north rim of the Grand Canyon and Havasupai.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

16. Likes Eric Holden liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim-Yun View Post
    People, I asked for help, and got problems only
    What is it "Finders keepers" ?
    You're getting problems because you were conducting an illegal activity in one of our beloved National Parks. As lovers of the outdoors, we're not going to help you facilitate those sorts of activities.

If it's any consolation, the North Rim shuts down for the winter soon, and the winter snows will quickly cover you drone.

Too late. It's gone.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Darn, we just did over the rim trash pick-up a few weeks ago. All I got were hats, broken sun glasses, and water bottles. Although right next to me they got an i-phone 5. Next year I'm picking imperial point instead of mather point.

20. Likes Taylor liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by phatch View Post
    I don't own or want a drone either. But it's been in the news over the last few months. As I recall, Zion NP was the first or one of the first to officially ban them. Then the NP followed within a couple weeks. It was in the park papers after that as I visited various NPS areas.
    Zion banned them after several people reported drones buzzing bighorn sheep on the east side of the park. This was late last year, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    Darn, we just did over the rim trash pick-up a few weeks ago. All I got were hats, broken sun glasses, and water bottles. Although right next to me they got an i-phone 5. Next year I'm picking imperial point instead of mather point.
    it is not talking about Imperial Point?

nelsonccc
    you're stupid. Your jokes are not funny

Any American with a hunting license should be allowed to blast these dumb drones out of the sky with a 12-gauge.

24. Likes Byron, Taylor, Glenn liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    blue stripes
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?