Thread: Expanding from beginner

Expanding from beginner

I have been reading in the Bogley forum a lot lately as I try to expand my knowledge in Canyoneering. I started enjoying this sport about 4 years ago but I was not the one who had experience...so I never really learned beyond the basic how to get on rappel and how to be on fireman. I decided a few months ago to start learning more and become more skilled so I can be competent in a canyon. This is spurred on by my wife being pregnant with our first child and knowing that I want to be able to take the whole fam through canyons one day safely.

I have already started to learn a lot from this Forum and I am happy to see that there are some experienced people that I have heard of before who actively participate in here. Makes me excited.

Here is a list of canyons I have completed (this is from memory and I may need to go back through photos later and confirm):

Moab:
    Pleiades
    Rock of Ages
    Tier Drop
    Morning Glory/Medieval
    Corona Arch
    Looking Glass Arch
    MMI

Zion:
    PineCreek
    Birch Hollow
    Subway
    Narrows

St. George Area:
    Yankee Doodle

Excalante:
    Lower Calf Creek (However, I have heard that they no longer like you to rappel down the waterfall)
    Peekaboo and Spooky
    Coyote Gulch
    Neon(This doesn't really count but we made the hike and almost starting to drop into the canyon when it rained for 20 minutes. Instead we went and watch the water spew into the pool at the bottom of the Golden Cathedral)

Northern Utah:
    Rocky Mouth Waterfall
    The Grotto (Payson Canyon)
    Battle Creek Falls

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Nice. Impressive first list as a beginner.

And welcome to Bogley!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Sounds like you are progressing in a reasonable manner.

Nothing beats canyoneering with your wife and kids.

Tap'n on my smart phone.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phillabb View Post
    I have been reading in the Bogley forum a lot lately as I try to expand my knowledge in Canyoneering. I started enjoying this sport about 4 years ago but I was not the one who had experience...so I never really learned beyond the basic how to get on rappel and how to be on fireman. I decided a few months ago to start learning more and become more skilled so I can be competent in a canyon. This is spurred on by my wife being pregnant with our first child and knowing that I want to be able to take the whole fam through canyons one day safely.

I have already started to learn a lot from this Forum and I am happy to see that there are some experienced people that I have heard of before who actively participate in here. Makes me excited.

Here is a list of canyons I have completed (this is from memory and I may need to go back through photos later and confirm):

Moab:
    Pleiades
    Rock of Ages
    Tier Drop
    Morning Glory/Medieval
    Corona Arch
    Looking Glass Arch
    MMI

Zion:
    PineCreek
    Birch Hollow
    Subway
    Narrows

St. George Area:
    Yankee Doodle

Excalante:
    Lower Calf Creek (However, I have heard that they no longer like you to rappel down the waterfall)
    Peekaboo and Spooky
    Coyote Gulch
    Neon(This doesn't really count but we made the hike and almost starting to drop into the canyon when it rained for 20 minutes. Instead we went and watch the water spew into the pool at the bottom of the Golden Cathedral)

Northern Utah:
    Rocky Mouth Waterfall
    The Grotto (Payson Canyon)
    Battle Creek Falls
    Welcome to the addiction.

Is there a question in there? If so, you might want to post on the Canyoneering Forum.

One of the best ways to learn is to go out with experienced, competent canyoneers, and see what they do, and ask for explanations and training.

Tom

Thanks everyone!

Tom I will post questions in the canyoneering section. I set up some anchors in my garage and have started to practice blocking techniques. You are right, nothing better then getting out there and learning from some pros!