Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recommendation for a shovel

Any recommendation for a shovel

Planning on taking a shovel with me to some of the Escalante canyons...any recommendations for which one to buy?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Why are you taking a shovel?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Planning on taking a shovel with me to some of the Escalante canyons...
    Why?

If you need a shovel to canyoneer you are doing it wrong.

Help fill up throwbags. Maybe, if there's a need to dig to bury an anchor. Never did these specific canyons, and rather have it as a backup.

I believe that the orange plastic trowel for $2.99 is the instrument of choice.

8. Likes Taylor, Byron liked this post
    The little folding stainless steel ones are nice, especially for making a deposit in an area devoid of suitable stones to turn...

I've done maybe a thousand canyons and never had the need for a shovel... save yourself the weight and space. If you were ever desperate you could always use your helmet.

11. Likes Taylor, Byron, Scott P, Scott Card liked this post
    Just be careful and know what you are doing. If you head to Escalante, start with the easier canyons first, before heading to something like Headless Hen or something.

This may sound harsh, but I was just worried about you; that's all.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Thank you for the advice. As mentioned, this area is new, and always good to use the local experts advise. Given the feedback above, I plan on taking with me my U-Dig-It shovel (http://www.rei.com/product/407009/u-...el-hand-shovel), which we already had in our gear list and take your word that it should be sufficient. Always happy to shed off some extra weight.

Unless you have found a slot really off the beaten path it's comforting to know all these slots have been done previously without a shovel. If these are slots that are listed on websites and/or forums than just know they have already been descended by hundreds of canyoneers before you without the aid of a shovel.

Are not human hands capable of shovelling sand into a sandtrap?

(I confess, I bring a portable shovel with me when I go to Utah, but in case of vehicular need, not canyon need. Photo at the foot of this post).

Scott and Iceaxe: I'll be in Utah again for 3 weeks this November...is it too late to propose a Bogleyfest somewhere?

Rob

Name:  Dscf4409_zps8c313470.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  45.0 KB

I don't know what you all are talking about. When I go canyoneering, I always bring 2 shovels.

Name:  4992094992_d1c43b5068_b.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  57.3 KB
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    I don't know what you all are talking about. When I go canyoneering, I always bring 2 shovels.

Name:  4992094992_d1c43b5068_b.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  57.3 KB
    The only exception I've come across was when we did a canyon in January and the sand was slightly moist and had frozen. We were concerned about that very thing Before started out day so we brought a mini shovel. It was the hero of the day. But, no, I don't typically carry a shovel. Putting sand in a sand trap or pot shots is a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    The only exception I've come across was when we did a canyon in January and the sand was slightly moist and had frozen. We were concerned about that very thing Before started out day so we brought a mini shovel. It was the hero of the day. But, no, I don't typically carry a shovel. Putting sand in a sand trap or pot shots is a non issue.
    I mostly agree with that.

Found this on another Bogley thread :)
    "
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ighlight=LAMAR
    - “BRING A trowel/garden shovel for shoveling sand! It beats using your hands. I owe Bootboy a big thanks for recommending that.”
    - Absolute Gravity: “You guys do it right.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by nkanarik View Post
    Found this on another Bogley thread :)
    "
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ighlight=LAMAR
    - “BRING A trowel/garden shovel for shoveling sand! It beats using your hands. I owe Bootboy a big thanks for recommending that.”
    - Absolute Gravity: “You guys do it right.
    "
    That was mine. The orange trowel came in handy when rapping repeatedly off the sand trap in No Kidding. I'll stand by that.
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik B View Post
    That was mine. The orange trowel came in handy when rapping repeatedly off the sand trap in No Kidding. I'll stand by that.
    Now I see the problem.... I consider a sand trap to be just about as worthless as a shovel an I don't carry either.... light is right and lighter is righter.... YMMV

Tap'n on my smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Now I see the problem.... I consider a sand trap to be just about as worthless as a shovel an I don't carry either.... light is right and lighter is righter.... YMMV

Tap'n on my smart phone.
    That's too bad that you don't get to go where a Sandtrap allows you to go...

Quote Originally Posted by Bootboy View Post
    That's too bad that you don't get to go where a Sandtrap allows you to go...
    Of the top of my head I can't think of any canyons being done with the sand trap that were not previously done without a sand trap.

Canyoneers were doing these canyons before the sand trap and they will be doing them after the sand trap.

There is more than one way to skin a cat and carrying a piece of bulky gear is not my preferred method. YMMV

Tap'n on my smart phone.