Thread: Man stranded by rising river in Zion National Park found dead the next day

Man stranded by rising river in Zion National Park found dead the next day

ZION NATIONAL PARK, Utah

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Yikes. Just saw this .

I was up in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone this last weekend and it was nothing but rain for 3 straight days.

I wondered how canyon country held up......not good, apparently.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Very sad, but I still don't know why people are going into the narrow canyons with such terrible weather forecasts. This seems to be more and more common.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

" so one hiker decided to try and exit the Narrows and reach the trail by swimming down the river."

And that worked out for him!? Wow.

I'm curious, how does the park service measure the CFS? Are there meters at various locations?

The USGS has water gauges along the river.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I'm still dumbstruck that the guy who did the incredibly stupid thing of swimming downstream survived but his hiking partner - who had stayed in-place (presumably) - was the one who died. Perhaps he thought he could swim down as well.

In any case, weather reports were already indicating flash flood potential and neither should have gone in at all.

===============================
    By the way, here are links to the USGS Gauges (I keep these on my smart phone just to keep track):
    North Fork Virgin River
    East Fork Virgin River

I probably would have said goodbye to my swimmer friend, figuring never to see him again and stayed put myself.

I wonder how far up the river they were? Up by Big Spring or just a turn or two up? I can't believe the swimmer would be able to go very far AND get to shore in the fast water. Maybe there were eddys? IDK man, I'd like to hear the details on this one.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.