Thread: Lone Peak

Lone Peak

A few weeks ago Sarah, James and I set out to summit Lone Peak. We met early the next morning, catching a nice sunrise as we started up the Jacobs Ladder route. Everything went well for the first bit, a nice trail, cool temps and good conversation. And then we started up the ladder- none of us had done the route before and didn
    Attached Images Attached Images             

2. Likes Slot Machine, Taylor liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice work. Tough, rewarding climb.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

5. Likes MiCamp liked this post
    I'd like to do this peak sometime,it's been a while some I've done any hiking like that.

How much more time in the season would you say we have to access it? How is it in October, good but just cold?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. Likes MiCamp liked this post
    Sweet.... my kids have been bugging me to climb this with them so I'll probably be going it again soon.

Tap'n on my smart phone.

9. Likes MiCamp liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    How much more time in the season would you say we have to access it? How is it in October, good but just cold?
    I imagine you could access it until there's a pretty good snowfall, although I'm not sure how long the gate to corner canyon remains open.
    As far as conditions in October go, I think it'd be a great time. Nice cool temps and fall colors.

I usually like to climb Lone Peak late in the fall after the first light snow. At that time you can find water in the cirque and the temps are cool. Only downside is the days are short.

I live right at the base of Lone Peak. The gate stays open until the road gets muddy. They now have three gates on the road and do a good job keeping the road open as long as possible up to Jacobs Ladder. They will close the gate at Jacobs Ladder pretty soon but that doesn't matter as that's where you start the hike.

Tap'n on my smart phone.

You'll want to use great caution up on the summit ridge if you go when there's snow on top. It's quite exposed and a wrong move can leave you mangled in the cirque. It can be done, but be very careful and know your limits.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

I must admit it's been a while since I've done any "hard" hiking. I might have to get into better shape for this. I'm not sure mountain biking would give me the stamina I need, as I do a fair amount of walking my bike.

FWIW- I consider this coming weekend to be perfect for climbing Lone Peak. With last nights snow you will find water in the cirque and the snow on the ridges will melt off by the weekend. The temperature will be cool and the fall colors fantastic. The days are still reasonably long and the Corner Canyon Road is still open. Good luck.

Tap'n on my smart phone.