Thread: Doable in Day? High Spur and NWFork of Big Springs Canyon

Doable in Day? High Spur and NWFork of Big Springs Canyon

Hello there...Like the title says...Doable in a day. I have done High Spur before. Just thinking of hiking down as far as I want and then returning to do Big Springs. I have not done Big Springs before. My thought is to do High Spur for 3-4 hours and then it sounds like Big Springs is a 3-4 jaunt. Doable? Thanks much, Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I was planning that exact same route this coming weekend, but doing it in a day seems like you would have to run through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool...maybe we will see each other. Yeah, I was thinking my wife would enjoy the upper part of High Spur Canyon...I sure she would enjoy the rappel at the end but maybe not the 3 mile hike back on the road:) That is why I was thinking of backtracking and doing Big Springs Canyon too.. From my research, it sounds like people can do Bsprings in 3 hours round trip...Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by villainousturtle View Post
    I was planning that exact same route this coming weekend, but doing it in a day seems like you would have to run through it.

Very dependent on different factors, like skill level and speed, but I think it is very possible to do High Spur and NW Fork of Big Spring in a day. One time we did High Spur (the full route) and the East Fork of Big Spring in one day, with two beginners.

Thanks...Don't want to rush it! I love High Spur and my wife hasn't been to either one yet...I think I will try the NW fork first and then head down Spur canyon as far as we desire...Kelsey says he can do NW Big Springs in 2.5 hours...Know Kelsey, I figure an hour more or so...

Quote Originally Posted by qedcook View Post
    Very dependent on different factors, like skill level and speed, but I think it is very possible to do High Spur and NW Fork of Big Spring in a day. One time we did High Spur (the full route) and the East Fork of Big Spring in one day, with two beginners.

I suspect water levels will be quite high in the canyon..

Just talked with the ranger at the Maze District. She reported that someone came out of the canyon yesterday, Saturday, and reported waist high water past the corkscrew.

She said they have received an inch of rain (9/10) as of this morning.

I suspect water levels will be quite high in the canyon..

wonder how cold that water will be?

Did you end up going? I stopped at the water in the corkscrew. The swimmer at the first down climb was plenty cold but the corkscrew was neck deep when I turned back and cold cold cold. Most likely a swimmer after where I was for quite a distance.

Just got back...didn't make it out there...got stuck around the Bjohn area...amazing that we didn't we didn't run into water at all....what were u driving? Saw a few cars....

Did you end up going? I stopped at the water in the corkscrew. The swimmer at the first down climb was plenty cold but the corkscrew was neck deep when I turned back and cold cold cold. Most likely a swimmer after where I was for quite a distance.

I was driving a blue Tacoma TRD 4 door.

No, Didn't see u..we were in a white landcruiser....hope u had a great trip!

I was driving a blue Tacoma TRD 4 door.