Thread: Neon Conditions?

Neon Conditions?

The wife and I are planning a trip to Escalante in a week and a half, with Neon being the prize canyon on the itinerary. So, was wondering if anybody's been down it in the last week or two? I'm particularly wondering about how much water it's holding, and the keeper conditions as well. Looks like the area may get more rain in the near term as well which could obviously change things, but just wanted to get some kind of update in the meantime if possible.

On a related, generalized note--if it IS full of water, and one does the 'full meal deal', are there likely to be some long swims? We're just trying to get a handle on how intense of an experience it might be, and don't have a plethora of wet canyon experience to gauge against. We have 4/3 full wetsuits, but she gets cold pretty easily. Any info/anecdotal experience would be appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Neon Conditions?

I can't speak to the current conditions but if you drop in high, and the canyon is full, neon has some very long swims/wades. The exposure can be prolonged. With things cooling off these days, take an extra layer like a vest for the wife. 4/3 is ok but someone who gets cold easily will want something more for a long day in neon. You can drop into neon lower as well for a shorter day.