Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Rendezvous...Mystery Canyon

  1. #1

    Rendezvous...Mystery Canyon

    On the second day of the Rendezvous, Scott M. had posted a trip to Mystery. I never pass up a trip through that canyon.

    The crew was Scott M, his wife Eliysha, Ken, Greg, Scott Card and me. Both Greg and Ken knew the ropes, but it was the first technical canyon for both Scott and his wife. I assured Eliysha that by the time we finished this hike, she'd be dancing down the rope like a ballerina. And indeed, by the time we got to the last rap they were both in good form.

    We were having plenty of fun and then we hit the lake. I've been through Mystery perhaps 8 times, but never had the lake more than hip high.It was a nice little added adventure for us, as this time it was a swimmer!!! Name:  P9190069.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  146.8 KBName:  P9190078.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  115.0 KBName:  P9190077.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  75.3 KBName:  P9190076.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  86.5 KBName:  P9190075.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  157.7 KBName:  P9190074.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  170.7 KBName:  P9190073.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  123.7 KBName:  P9190072.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  97.3 KBName:  P9190071.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  90.1 KBName:  P9190070.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  208.6 KBName:  P9190080.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  119.2 KB Now I can say that I actually swam in Mystery.

    When we got to the last rap, Scott Card reminded everybody that "style points" matter on this one, as the tourists are all watching. So Scott Card comes down last, and just like I figured he would, he bounces down the thing in about 20 seconds like a G.I. paratrooper on his tip toes. All nice and smooth. I couldn't help but walk over and give him a good natured ribbing. "Style points', indeed!

    Among my pics, there's one of Eliysha thats kinda blurry, but she's so darn cute I just had to post it up.
    Life is what you make it. Everybody knows that...right?

  2. Likes tcott, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many
     

  4. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    On the second day of the Rendezvous, Scott M. had posted a trip to Mystery. I never pass up a trip through that canyon.

    The crew was Scott M, his wife Eliysha, Ken, Greg, Scott Card and me. Both Greg and Ken knew the ropes, but it was the first technical canyon for both Scott and his wife. I assured Eliysha that by the time we finished this hike, she'd be dancing down the rope like a ballerina. And indeed, by the time we got to the last rap they were both in good form.

    We were having plenty of fun and then we hit the lake. I've been through Mystery perhaps 8 times, but never had the lake more than hip high.It was a nice little added adventure for us, as this time it was a swimmer!!! Name:  P9190069.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  146.8 KBName:  P9190078.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  115.0 KBName:  P9190077.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  75.3 KBName:  P9190076.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  86.5 KBName:  P9190075.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  157.7 KBName:  P9190074.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  170.7 KBName:  P9190073.jpg
Views: 568
Size:  123.7 KBName:  P9190072.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  97.3 KBName:  P9190071.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  90.1 KBName:  P9190070.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  208.6 KBName:  P9190080.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  119.2 KB Now I can say that I actually swam in Mystery.

    When we got to the last rap, Scott Card reminded everybody that "style points" matter on this one, as the tourists are all watching. So Scott Card comes down last, and just like I figured he would, he bounces down the thing in about 20 seconds like a G.I. paratrooper on his tip toes. All nice and smooth. I couldn't help but walk over and give him a good natured ribbing. "Style points', indeed!

    Among my pics, there's one of Eliysha thats kinda blurry, but she's so darn cute I just had to post it up.
    Byron,

    Awesome trip report! Thanks for sharing the pics. I sent you a link to a shared google drive, did you get it? If so, check it out as there are several pics we caught of you. Also, if you would like, please post yours there so we can all see them. Great job on snagging that super pricey rope! See you next year.

    Scott

  5. #3
    Anyone heard from Greg since the ZCR? Trying to catch up with him to get all the pics he took too.

  6. #4
    Byron, great report and photos. It was awesome to finally meet you and do a canyon together. Byron is an old dude like me but with much more climbing skill and speed. Glad everyone has these photos of the lake. It is hard to envision for almost everyone who had done that canyon dry.

    As for style points..... duh, that's what that rap is all about! Besides, everyone rapped into the Narrows like a champ and the fans were getting bored with perfect rappelling. Also, as soon as Elisha made it down, everyone started to leave which kinda wounded my ego just a little. You know I was thinking, "wait people, I haven't gone yet and I have style". Next time I think for even more points I need to ramp up the degree of difficulty. I think I will try the Silver Surfer move.

    As for your last rap into the Narrows Byron, you went first after we had worked the crowd into a frenzy for you from above. You had the captive audience. Talk about style, you had the full attention of everyone and I believe there were a few claps for you when you landed. By the time I went last, people were hoping for some carnage.
    Life is Good

  7. Likes Byron liked this post
  8. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    people were hoping for some carnage.
    Yeah Scott, that's the ticket! Come down ass over elbows screaming bloody murder all the way with the rope tied around yer ankles!!! That'll WOW 'em!

    "Are you not ENTERTAINED?"

    "ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!"
    Life is what you make it. Everybody knows that...right?

  9. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Byron is an old dude like me.
    Who you calling old? I deny it, I tell you. That guy wasn't me, I swear.
    Life is what you make it. Everybody knows that...right?

  10. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Anyone heard from Greg since the ZCR? Trying to catch up with him to get all the pics he took too.
    Greg flies solo, man. I was camped next to him and said goodbye. He's a really nice guy but not interested in pictures and stuff...at least, that was my impression.

    Did you get a good look at that guy? He was phenomenal. He's built like a brick shithouse and RIPPED! He's 65 years old! I told him he reminded me of Jack Lalanne. He got a kick out of that.

    Hey Greg, If you happen to read this, I hope you find the shangri la!...He and his wife are traveling around in an R.V. He's thinking North Carolina to settle down (maybe).

    I saw the google thing you sent me. I'll get after that soon enough. I still have to write up a trip report for my last hike there...should be entertaining.
    Life is what you make it. Everybody knows that...right?

  11. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Greg flies solo, man. I was camped next to him and said goodbye. He's a really nice guy but not interested in pictures and stuff...at least, that was my impression.

    Did you get a good look at that guy? He was phenomenal. He's built like a brick shithouse and RIPPED! He's 65 years old! I told him he reminded me of Jack Lalanne. He got a kick out of that.

    Hey Greg, If you happen to read this, I hope you find the shangri la!...He and his wife are traveling around in an R.V. He's thinking North Carolina to settle down (maybe).

    I saw the google thing you sent me. I'll get after that soon enough. I still have to write up a trip report for my last hike there...should be entertaining.

    Not interested in pictures? Didn't you hear that rapid fire camera he had? That guy had to have filled several GB's the way that camera was clicking.

    Read your FMM trip report, nice job!

    PS did Greg make you a fruit smoothie? If not, Elisha knows how to make a kick ass Kale & Peach smoothie!

  12. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Not interested in pictures? Didn't you hear that rapid fire camera he had? That guy had to have filled several GB's the way that camera was clicking.
    He had a camera? I didn't even notice...I think I was too busy yucking it up with Scott.

    I saw him off when he left the next morning. He just kinda rode off into the sunset...he knows about Bogley, I told him I'd post up a trip report. Hey Greg, if you're out there, poke your head up!
    Life is what you make it. Everybody knows that...right?

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Canyon Rendezvous Azores
    By sonnylawrence in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2014, 03:45 PM
  2. [Invite] ACA Zion Canyon Rendezvous
    By rcwild in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-19-2013, 10:42 AM
  3. Zion Canyon Rendezvous & Conference
    By rcwild in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 07:10 PM
  4. ACA 2011 Canyon Rendezvous
    By rcwild in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-19-2011, 09:09 AM
  5. Arizona Canyon Rendezvous
    By rcwild in forum Canyoneering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2009, 09:52 AM

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •