Thread: Rendezvous FAT MAN'S Misery

Rendezvous FAT MAN'S Misery

So I arrive at the Rendezvous Wed. late afternoon to see that someone has a hike through Misery on Thursday. I immediately signed up, as that canyon has been on my wish list for a long time. I've vacationed in Zion many times, but never bothered to go over there.

My partners were Jared, Eric and Corey. We did the whole thing in 9 hrs with a little over an hour of breaks. Not too bad...this hike has a reputation of being a bit burly, but aside from a stiff half hour of uphill from the river it's a piece of cake. The whole thing is virtually covered by a giant trail. I was surprised by that.

None of us had done this canyon before, but Jared and I had read about it in detail. It consists of 5 or 6 short slots, with the big payoff being the last one, closest to the river.

After going through this canyon I considered that if I ever came back to do it again I'd bypass the upper ones and just go straight for the last one (Kelsey says you can do it) but after thinking about it a while, I'd just go through the whole thing. Make a day of it, ya know?

We were a great group and just had fun the whole way. Jared, in particular, was very impressive. I'm an old school rope it or sling it guy, and he had all the accoutrements and worked them expertly. If you go on a hike with him, you're in good hands.

Here's some pictures. Jared is the blond one, Corey is next to me in one pic, and Eric is trying to get out of the "keeper"...just for fun, it can be bypassed. If you guys want to see the pics bigger, just right click on that pic an select "view image" I'm sure most of you know that, but I certainly recall the day I discovered it.Name:  P9180022.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  48.9 KBName:  P9180062.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  108.9 KBName:  P9180061.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  113.0 KBName:  P9180060.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  84.3 KBName:  P9180059.jpg
Views: 721
Size:  97.6 KBName:  P9180055.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  32.3 KBName:  P9180043.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  53.9 KBName:  P9180042.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  44.9 KBName:  P9180041.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  119.1 KBName:  P9180040.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  61.5 KBName:  P9180038.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  46.2 KBName:  P9180035.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  34.4 KBName:  P9180030.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  105.4 KBName:  P9180026.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  106.5 KBName:  P9180025.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  95.7 KBName:  P9180024.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  60.0 KBName:  P9180020.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  89.9 KBName:  P9180066.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  75.3 KB
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice pics- Misery is a goodun. One of my favs in Zion. Isolated, beautiful scenery, not too hard, but not just a long hike with short semi tech section like Subway. And yes you can bypass almost all til the end but why not enjoy it all.

Like most canyons it is completely diff when wet. Been thru 5-6 times, dry every time but once it was full. Actually needed a wetsuit (tip to Zion Backcountry desk) and involved much more partner assisting. Longer day but more fun teamwork.
    Agree on hike out too. Unless done in mid summer it is 100.

4. Likes Byron liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by flatiron View Post
    Agree on hike out too. Unless done in mid summer it is 100.
    Yeah...it was in the mid to upper 80s as we did it. Three quarters of the hike out is in the direct sun, with no shade to speak of. Ten degrees hotter would certainly have sucked. You make a good point...perhaps people who are a bit sensitive to heat should carefully consider this hike. It's easy, but not THAT easy.

Jealous. I wanted to tick this one off the list.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Jealous. I wanted to tick this one off the list.
    Next time!!! I'll go through it again, the whole thing, too.

You just gotta promise to accompany me through Imlay or Heaps. The only two classics left on MY wish list.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

You just gotta promise to accompany me through Imlay or Heaps. The only two classics left on MY wish list.
    Deal! (one caveat - my climbing gun, Steve Jackson, will need to be there too.) ;-)
    Life is Good

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    There are people on this forum who have *not* been down Imlay? Say it's not so! ;-)

10. Likes Byron liked this post
    Oh no,no,no,no,no,no...everyone here is honest!!! Just like me!

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post

Oh man, I want in on that action! (Imlay, not Heaps) Before you discount us too quickly, remember we have a year to peak up on our skills.

Remember when I told you in Mystery that you're "all over it"? I wasn't kidding...get a bit more practice in and you're probably good to go. Imlay, of course.

14. Likes ScottM liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    Oh man, I want in on that action! (Imlay, not Heaps) Before you discount us too quickly, remember we have a year to peak up on our skills.
    Hmmm. Might have to do this Friday of the next Rendezvous. I see a team forming.....
    Life is Good

I say Friday because I like to have a warm up day first to get in the groove.
    Life is Good

Sounds good to me. We all know I have decent luck with lotto, I will place an application when the 3 month window opens.