Thread: Candice Hogan's Monster 414" Utah Bull Elk

2. Likes oldno7 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    wow
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Did she get that big dude with a bow? No matter what she got it with, I'm jealous!

Sweet....

Tap'n on my smart phone.

Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow that is one ugly and non-majestic animal. Glad she killed it. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by villainousturtle View Post
    Wow that is one ugly and non-majestic animal. Glad she killed it. Good riddance.

For thousands of years, humankind has slaughtered and eaten billions, perhaps trillions of animals.

Do you cry for them as well? Just curious...
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

I don't cry for them. I actually think hunting a wild animal is more ethical and humane then eating a farm animal. But I don't understand the whole, "Look, it's the biggest and most impressive one around! Kill it!" mentality. http://youtu.be/PsbpMBuU744

11. Likes Byron liked this post
    Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    I've never understood the fascination with antlers. So many hunters in Utah that seem exclusively focused on just the size and/or the antlers and less so about the meat. On the way to/from work, I can see hundreds of trucks with decals with words like "Rack Hunter"..

Clearly an impressive elk, but this too seems to be a case of antler hunting and not meat hunting - as the emphasis in the photos seems to be on the antlers.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Utah manages (or mismanages ) limited entry hunting units for trophy animals. Anyone that pays big money and enters the drawing year after year hoping for what is likely theonly chance they will get in their lifetime to hunt in such a unit is there to hunt for a trophy rack as the first priority. Drawing a permit is no guarantee that a hunter will even see a trophy animal, let alone harvest one.

The spike elk, doe deer, cow elk, and most buck deer hunts, which the vast majority of hunters buy permits for, are likely to only be hunting for meat. You just don't see many people displaying their spike racks.

Of course if you have lots of money, like Denny Austed, then what I've stated above is all out the window and you can basically pay someone to do everything except shoot the animal for you. I'm pretty sure Candice's hunt was a DIY hunt with no guide involved (please correct me if I'm wrong), which, in my book, is worthy of posting a thread on Bogley.

14. Likes oldno7 liked this post
    [QUOTE=villainousturtle;562173 I don't understand the whole, "Look, it's the biggest and most impressive one around! Kill it!" mentality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I'll admit, I'm with ya on that. If I were a hunter (and I'm not) and I was out for meat, I probably wouldn't shoot the biggest stag. I think it upsets the group dynamic among the herd?

As for antlers, I much prefer finding them laying on the ground...It's an auto pilot thing, walking over to pick it up, look it over, set it back down.

Name:  065.jpg
Views: 2101
Size:  54.9 KB
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Most LE permits end up being a once in a lifetime hunt. The pictures are just a way of bringing back the memories.
    I think most people would be more offended of buchered meat photos rather than the trophy photos. YMMV.

Anyway nice elk and I'm sure it tastes good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post

Of course if you have lots of money, like Denny Austed, then what I've stated above is all out the window and you can basically pay someone to do everything except shoot the animal for you. I'm pretty sure Candice's hunt was a DIY hunt with no guide involved (please correct me if I'm wrong), which, in my book, is worthy of posting a thread on Bogley.
    I saw the pics posted on Gunwerks site - said it was a Mossback bull... so big money and little effort was probably involved.

The large animals and abundance of animals in our mountains are because of hunters.

Who do you think pays for all of it. License sales, raffles, donations, thousands of hours donated for field work.

People may give the big money people a hard time, but how much money and time do non hunters donate to help the animals, yet they are the most critical of it.

Some tag purchases go upwards of $100,000. The people are able and willing to donate (pay). that money.

The roads (drivers) in Utah kill over 10 times as many a in Utah than hunters do.

It isn't like they are strapping the elk to the hood of their car and driving down Main Street. The animals mounted in my house brought our family food and they also are reminders of the experiences. Time spent mostly with my dad and brothers in the field hunting, camping, hiking, socializing. The journey was important.

Actually killing something is anti climatic and actually a ton of work. Try getting a 900 pound elk out from 3 miles back in forest. I havnt bought farmed steroid grown meat for long time. The majority of hunters will have way more appreciation for the killed animals than the non hunting critical public

19. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post

Utah DNR report which shows the opposite of what public perception is on how many deer are killed by hunters. The least amount since 1940.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    spike elk,cow elk= Pine Creek/Keyhole

400+ point elk= Imlay,Heaps,Poe, etc.

Why do canyoneers always keep stepping up their game? Could there be personal satisfaction in such a challenge?

Why do Hunters always keep stepping up their game? Could there be personal satisfaction in such a challenge?
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

22. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post