Thread: BYU Noobs down Mystery Canyon

Blog Entries

BYU Noobs down Mystery Canyon

Just found this randomly on youtube:

Listen to their story of their "first hike in Zions"...

Typical case of BYU canyoneers eh?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I made it 2 min and had to stop watching haha
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Animals and bears and lions and cougars running everywhere?! I guess you have to be in Zions to see them.

I liked it.
    Life is Good

I didn't know if I should laugh or cry.

Ken

Poll time.

What's more painful, this video or the MIA exit?

8. Likes jman, Kuya liked this post
    The suggested video at the end where the shiat head eats the frog is reprehensible.

10. Likes SRG, jman liked this post
    Blog Entries

BYU Noobs down Mystery Canyon

To those who don't want to listen to the entire thing; here's a synopsis of their trip:

This is their "First hike in Zions"

-One guy is afraid of heights (doesn't trust Aaron, who might be the rope guru)
    -The same guy never had a good experience camping
    -The same guy got 2 hours of sleep due to someones loud snoring.

-The group gets "lost to the trailhead for 2 1/2 hours" and make it by "running 3 miles" to make up the time.
    -Throws rocks at a tree while waiting for the rest of the group to catch up?? (I'm not sure why exactly?)
    -One guy had his lunch before they even started the hike (and had nothing left over for the day)
    -Starts listening to Disney music as they are hiking (the ULTIMATE SIN! hopefully it wasn't from 'Frozen')
    -Shawn is comforting the girls (as some are crying) for how long it's taken them so far before even dropping into "death gorge"
    -All noobs.
    -"Dropping into death gorge", freaked out everybody.
    -One guy puts on his wetsuit after death gulch (why?) and needed to pee. He pees inside of it to stay warm.
    -They stick the rope on a rap (not sure which rap #)
    -45mins trying to pull the stuck rope on the rappel. One guy ascends back up (thankfully they had some sort of jumaring tool, prussic? handled ascender?) and fixes it. (From the video, it looks like they were using Figure 8's and maybe some of the twists got it all twisted up?)
    -They reach the bottom rap near darkness, and 3 leave the group and run to catch the shuttle and leave the rest behind.
    -The rest (I think 3 people? although it looks like they have 7 people for that permit?) of the group is left at the last rap and get the rope stuck again!
    -They decide to cut the rope cause they 1) either don't want to ascend 2) don't know how to ascend.

-The miss the shuttle at the Temple of Sinawava and think about sleeping in the women's bathroom compared to walking/running 7 miles back to the visitor center.
    -They finally decide to walk as far as they can get. They get 1 mile and get a ride from a visitor to the Lodge.
    -They crash at lodge in one of the bathrooms and lay on top of each other to stay warm. And again in the women's bathroom (its the cleanest one one, right?)
    -One guy wakes up sometime in the morning and takes 8 rolls of toilet paper and lays it on top of everyone (either for comfort or cushion or both)

-The guy mentioned at the beginning, how this trip was horrible and mentions how he twisted his ankle on a jump, hurt his knee, sliced his finger on a rock, lots of scratches from the first hike (just to the entrance of the canyon)

"Moral of the story - all Brians fault." (Brian, I assume, is the trip leader)
    -And near the end of the video - one guy Swallows a live frog.

They are the ones who give canyoneering a bad name.

(Hopefully they didn't litter. Hopefully they didn't push over rocks. Hopefully they didn't graffiti or scratch their names into the rocks. Hopefully they buried their waste.... But given that it is BYU students....probably not. )
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

12. Likes rockgremlin liked this post

Well that was cringeworthy.

Kinda reminds me of when I was just starting out... without the shaking up and eating live animals part, and without the cutting up ropes in anger part. The key is having the sense to put only your good behavior on youtube

Hey Broseph, you remember that sick vid we made from zions? I've been watching the stats everyday and they just started going crazy, this bogley site is watching it, this is how it goes viral bro

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

16. Likes xxnitsuaxx liked this post
    This hike will produce material for many fast and testimony meetings to come...maybe even a fireside.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Ugh... I wonder how often similar stuff happens that never make it to the Web.

Can't wait for part two??

I'm not drinking any haterade; I thought it was funny. Very silly, but good fun for a bunch of kids....I can think of much worse things they could be doing.
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

20. Likes Sombeech liked this post
    There was a cute girl hiking with them, but then they didn't bother to interview her? WTF?

22. Likes jman liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    There was a cute girl hiking with them, but then they didn't bother to interview her? WTF?
    That's exactly what I was thinking. Dumbasses.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I heard about this at the Rondi. Watching it, at first, I though it might be a well rehearsed hoax.

But it's not. Personally, I don't care one bit about their epic outside the comedy of it all. However, did you see that guy swinging like a madman on the spring rappel? THAT is stupid.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    I heard about this at the Rondi. Watching it, at first, I though it might be a well rehearsed hoax.

But it's not. Personally, I don't care one bit about their epic outside the comedy of it all. However, did you see that guy swinging like a madman on the spring rappel? THAT is stupid.
    Come on Byron. I had you pegged for a guy that would jump at the op to swallow a frog whole.

Nah, not me man! Gobbling down amphibians certainly wouldn't impress the hot betty's. I purposely behave in a manner that avoids women looking upon me in disgust...sometimes. Maybe you got me pegged after all?
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

So my Mom always said that God protects drunks and babies.......seems I gotta add BYU canyoneers to that list, cause I don't know how else they made it back with no one hurt.
    I want to be the type of person my dog already thinks I am