Thread: Zion weather (f@#k me)

Zion weather (f@#k me)

Hurricane Odile is in Baja CA this morning.

I heard there's that big rendezvous in Zion this weekend, anyone else with Zion permits still hoping the weather favors the canyoneer?

Link: More heavy rains, flooding could be headed our way

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Trying to get there this weekend. Looks like we are in for heavy rain mid week and through Friday, but Saturday looking OK? Fingers crossed.

You have permits? We had a couple back out this morning so I have 2 openings on a 6-person permit into Mystery on Thursday the 18th, and 2 openings on a 6-person permit into Pine Creek on Friday the 19th, and 4 openings on a 6-person permit into Echo on Saturday the 20th...

I'm still hoping early morning starts and out of the canyon before an afternoon thunderstorm, but if Odile comes north we may be looking for something else to do down there...

Well shit. If canyoneering doesn't work out (seems likely) I hope to get some cool waterfall pictures, and maybe some raging brown water video...

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  108.9 KB

7. Likes Byron, Mountaineer liked this post
    Hey Don, I have permits too, and like you, my fingers are crossed. I will say that I have always wanted to be in Zion in heavy rain. I have been there in a down pour once and it was very cool. I saw (from a safe distance) Pine Creek Flash. That was awesome. But a crazy storm like we had a couple of weeks ago would be a real treat to witness. Hope to see you. I will be at the Rendezvous.
    Life is Good

BTW, I heard that the hurricane hit Cat 4 status. Yikes.
    Life is Good

I didn't actually realize the Rendezvous was that weekend when we made our plans. We won't be up there; it's a little spendy. We'll be slumming it down at the South Campground.

Or maybe we'll abandon the plan altogether. I'll give it another day, or maybe even until Wednesday morning, but we might just do something else this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I didn't actually realize the Rendezvous was that weekend when we made our plans. We won't be up there; it's a little spendy. We'll be slumming it down at the South Campground.

Or maybe we'll abandon the plan altogether. I'll give it another day, or maybe even until Wednesday morning, but we might just do something else this weekend.
    Try Hosting a Rendezvous with that forecast, FML!
    You can still come by and say hi.

A change for the better in the forecast...

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Well shit. If canyoneering doesn't work out (seems likely) I hope to get some cool waterfall pictures, and maybe some raging brown water video...

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  108.9 KB

Thinks are looking up,,,,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thinks are looking up,,,,,,
    I live in a rural area and can tell you that Weather Channel/weather.com are notoriously inaccurate for rural areas (since they base forecast on the nearest major city). For rural areas at least, I've found noaa to be better:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...1#.VBg5YPldWgZ
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Oh for cryin' out loud...it looks good, then bad, then good and now Scott comes in and lowers the boom.

I reckon I'll see what the weather gods say 12 hours from now.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

16. Likes Don liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Oh for cryin' out loud...it looks good, then bad, then good and now Scott comes in and lowers the boom.

I reckon I'll see what the weather gods say 12 hours from now.
    Haha, right? One forecast makes me think an early start Thursday and we could still get Mystery, but another forecast says no. So one minute I'm thinking we pack up tonight and head down, and the next minute I'm thinking we go fishing in the Uintas.

Just talked to Amanda, I guess we're going to rush-pack and drive down tonight after work, not sure yet where we'll camp tonight. Just checked the reservation system and since we're almost certainly not doing Pine Creek Friday I snagged a reservation for 2 into Pine Creek tomorrow. We have some St George errands we were going to do tomorrow, but we'll do them Friday in the rain.
    Now, here's hoping the weather pushes back to Thursday afternoon so we can get Mystery Thursday morning...

Mountain Forecast has always done me right.
    http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/1100

Sorry I am going to miss this year. I'm dodging the hurricane in AZ by heading to NC. Now what sense does that make?

Stay safe and have fun.