Thread: Partners / Advice for Oct 5-8 Zion Trip

Partners / Advice for Oct 5-8 Zion Trip

So, I am planning a short trip to Zion during the kids' (13 and 11) Fall Break to get in a couple of classic Zion canyons. They have been rappelling quite a bit, and I have taken them through Bear Canyon in Arizona so they are capable. But the problem is there is only one of me, and I really need another experienced person to either be at the top or bottom of each rappel to monitor/belay them. I figured I would start them on Keyhole, and then probably do Pine Creek just because it's a classic with easy access. (I have been canyoneering for about 10 years and am a member of our local Mountain Rescue team.)

If I'm not able to find a partner to assist getting the kids through a technical canyon, can anyone recommend something other than hiking up the Narrows (which we're already planning on doing one day)? Will it be too cold to do the Narrows without wetsuits at this time? I've been in late September several times before (Zion Rendezvous) and we were fine in the narrows without thermal protection, but this will be a couple of weeks later in the season.

Thanks for any and all input!
    Joe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jfuredy View Post
    So, I am planning a short trip to Zion during the kids' (13 and 11) Fall Break to get in a couple of classic Zion canyons. They have been rappelling quite a bit, and I have taken them through Bear Canyon in Arizona so they are capable. But the problem is there is only one of me, and I really need another experienced person to either be at the top or bottom of each rappel to monitor/belay them. I figured I would start them on Keyhole, and then probably do Pine Creek just because it's a classic with easy access. (I have been canyoneering for about 10 years and am a member of our local Mountain Rescue team.)

If I'm not able to find a partner to assist getting the kids through a technical canyon, can anyone recommend something other than hiking up the Narrows (which we're already planning on doing one day)? Will it be too cold to do the Narrows without wetsuits at this time? I've been in late September several times before (Zion Rendezvous) and we were fine in the narrows without thermal protection, but this will be a couple of weeks later in the season.

Thanks for any and all input!
    Joe
    There's a couple ways to belay from above. Once you get used to it, not too bad. And you only need to do it once - the first down can bottom belay the next two.

The water in the canyons tends to be quite cold starting about then.

Tom

4. Likes Canyonater liked this post
    I agree with Tom....I've taken my wife and 3 year old on a few trips....top belay my wife, lower my daughter (or go tandem) then I go last.

Ditto... I took my kids all the time when they were young. Just belay/lower from the top. You will need wetsuits for everyone that time of year and I don't consider Pine Creek a good canyons for kids.

Tap'n on my smart phone.

How cold are we talking? I am also planning to do some canyons in mid October and have been wondering what to expect. Can anyone share their experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderzak View Post
    How cold are we talking? I am also planning to do some canyons in mid October and have been wondering what to expect. Can anyone share their experiences?
    It depends on how prepared you are.

I've been in a canyon with my kids, not expecting water, and they got very hypothermic. Had to escape and get them warm quick. We then came back the next day with thick wetsuits, and they had a blast.

If you have the right gear, and preparation, you'll be fine. The suggestions on wetsuits for this time of year is a good one. Good luck!

Just took my dad and step-mom through keyhole and PineCreek this week. Keyhole conditions where normal and followed every beta I've ever seen for it. Pinecreek, while being one i the classics is very full and very cold. It has more swimming than I have ever seen and you are in the water(swimming or wadding) for most of the canyon. I don't get cold that easy and it was cold to me in a 2 piece wetsuit. There was a new bolt placed for the last repel before you climb the slick rock to the left to get to the old spot. The new bolt drops you into the cave behind the old anchor point.