Thread: Choprock

Choprock

Anyone been out to choprock since the recent rains? Canyon conditions? Road conditions?

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I posted a Candition two weeks ago for choprock and neon.

But my guess would still be the same as our trip. Expect a LOT of swimming and chest deep water.There was one forced log jam to climb up about 6ft. There was another forced logjam that went up 10+ft, but we cleaned it out and now you can swim pass it easily.

And that was it for technical challenges.

But as with any flash flood in tight canyons, Prepare for logjams. So get webbing loops and other escape tools in a accessible area so you can lasso the top easily and make sure you can escape before you commit the full party.

The water, surprisingly was quite warm. I was in a full 3/2 wetsuit and in total probably swam 1/2 to 3/4 mile in water that day. A full wetsuit is always recommended for choprock (if you have never done it before).

The happy section didn't have any clear running water however (probably due to the rains two weeks ago) so we pumped canyon water which tasted funky.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I posted a Candition two weeks ago for choprock and neon.

But my guess would still be the same as our trip. Expect a LOT of swimming and chest deep water.There was one forced log jam to climb up about 6ft. There was another forced logjam that went up 10+ft but we cleaned it out and now you can swim pass it.

And that was it for technical challenges.

But as with any flash flood in tight canyons, Prepare for logjams. So get webbing loops and other escape tools in a accessible area so you can lasso the top easily and make sure you escape before you commit.

The water, surprisingly was quite warm. I was in a full 3/2 wetsuit and in total probably swam 1/2 to 3/4 mile in water that day. A full wetsuit is always recommended for choprock (if you have never done it$.

The happy section didn't have any clear running water however (probably due to the rains two weeks ago) so we pumped canyon water which tasted funky.
    This last flood could well have been epic! 2" of rain here, not sure what they got over in Escalante.

This last flood could well have been epic! 2" of rain here, not sure what they got over in Escalante.
    0.76 inches, though of course it could have been more or less at Choprock:

Name:  Es.JPG
Views: 327
Size:  62.1 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.