Thread: Paiute Trip 9/5 & 9/6

Paiute Trip 9/5 & 9/6

We had a blast on the Paiute system this past weekend.

We camped at the northern edge of the Piute reservoir Thrusday night and then went up onto the top above Koosharem and played around up there all day. Rode some new to us trails and explored some stuff we'd seen from the air a few weeks ago when we went and flew the routes. Just as we got to the top after lunch in Koosharem we got into rain and thunder which then turned to hail, getting hailed on at 40mph is very unpleasant. Amazing stuff for sure. We took the Barney Lake trail down and boy was it nasty, like riding downhill on bowling balls. Then we took the Durkee loop back to camp. 6 riders on Friday for our 100+ miles to Koosharem with some new hard routes mixed in!

We stayed in a guys cabin up near Puffer lake Friday night. A few more guys joined us for Saturday's ride. Saturday was 11 riders and a razor, at least till the razor rode up a tree, flipped over and broke the wheel right off. Shortened loop on Saturday,on the beaver side, due to the efforts to get the razor out of there, only 60 or so miles but we had a blast. Rode the 88 all the way back to the cabin. For some reason, since we always drop into Beaver, we never do the whole 88. We won't make that mistake again. It's a really good trail and lots of fun.

Fantastic weekend. We're planning on going back in a few weeks to do it all again!

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  60.3 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  73.6 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  73.4 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  113.6 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  67.8 KB
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  123.6 KB
    Name:  7.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  24.9 KB
    Name:  8.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  79.6 KB
    Name:  9.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  28.8 KB
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  74.6 KB
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  79.2 KB
    Name:  12.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  83.0 KB
    Name:  13.jpg
Size:  91.4 KB
    Name:  14.jpg
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  15.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  59.4 KB
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  64.8 KB
    Name:  photo 1 (Large).jpg
Views: 346
Size:  22.1 KB
    Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  65.8 KB
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    Saw you guys up there. You don't see to many 2wheeled vehicles on the Paiute, so they tend to stand out. I was based in Koosharem and we rode to the top of Fishlake and all the way to I-70 via Hoovers (for lunch).. Saw your group somewhere along the 86/87 trail nearer Lower Box Creek area. What happened to the SxS?
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Cool, we came out of Koosharem on the 01 to the 33 and then took the dirt road up to Lower box creek and then the road to Upper and the 87. We LOVE the 87/89. Those trails are amazing on a dirt bike. I saw a 4wheeler and a small white dog at the restroom at upper box reservoir. I was really surprised at how deteriorated a lot of the trails are. The 33 was literally blown to hell, almost like a totally different trail. Same thing with the 01 on the beaver side after three creeks reservoir headed towards Circleville. WOW, was it bad in there.

The razor was coming down the 26 near the top coming from the summit. We think he was trying to keep up with the dirt bikes and got going too fast. He says he looked in his rear view mirror and drove the drivers side front clear up a tree till it tipped him over on his side. Most of us where out ahead of him but a few guys were behind him and had to help tip it back over. He snapped the lower half of the A arm right in half. The CV boot was torn open while trying to manhandle the thing down the 26 to a dirt road to bail him out. It was a lot of work! Luckily he was only about 150 yards from a dirt road.

Surprisingly we saw a lot of dirt bike groups on the Beaver side on Saturday. Two other groups of about 3-4 motorcycles that we were kind of leap frogging with across the top. Not much traffic on Friday on the Koosharem side.

Name:  IMG_20140906_194009620_HDR (Large).jpg
Views: 356
Size:  68.2 KB
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post

Surprisingly we saw a lot of dirt bike groups on the Beaver side on Saturday. Two other groups of about 3-4 motorcycles that we were kind of leap frogging with across the top. Not much traffic on Friday on the Koosharem side.
    Yeah, considering it was Labor Day weekend, Koosharem and the surrounding areas were relatively empty. Even the Otter Creek RV park was pretty empty, although the State RV park next door looked full. We too were surprised to find that our ride to Marysvale (even through Delano Peak / Big John Flat) was relatively devoid of machines on the trail.

As for the 33 and 53, they're always rough. I don't recall a single time I've ridden the 33 where it wasn't super rough (rocks, debris, etc) and technical. Try those switchbacks on a 1000 pound ATV.. FUGLY!

Eat. Poop. Ride/Hike/Ski. maChete's Avatar
    Hey CC. Thanks for the report. Good read and good pictures. Hope we can ride together before I see you at The Mint.
    Roger That....Over!

Nice trip report thanks for share !!!
    Ride On !!!!
    13 Silverado CC 6.2L
    04 YFZ 450
    05 Honda 450 trx
    01 Honda 400ex
    06 KFX 400
    03 Suzuki LT80

Quote Originally Posted by maChete View Post
    Hey CC. Thanks for the report. Good read and good pictures. Hope we can ride together before I see you at The Mint.
    I hit you guys up on Facebook but I know it was late notice. This one kind of came together quickly. I'll be back up there in a month or so for some more Paiute Goodness. We should get the gang back together for another ride!
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    I hit you guys up on Facebook but I know it was late notice. This one kind of came together quickly. I'll be back up there in a month or so for some more Paiute Goodness. We should get the gang back together for another ride!
    Just be advised that late Sept and definitely by mid-October, the upper elevations are usually cloud covered (visibility about 5'), VERY cold and likely snow on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
    Just be advised that late Sept and definitely by mid-October, the upper elevations are usually cloud covered (visibility about 5'), VERY cold and likely snow on the ground.
    We usually make a trip the first week of October and have run into snow patches on the Beaver side for sure. In fact one year we couldn't ride the 68/88 since they'd gotten a snow storm the week before and it was too slick for the bikes. We rarely go up high on the summit and will stick to the lower trails if the weather is bad. We've ridden the koosharem side way into late October without any issues.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!