Thread: Expandables versus fixed blades

Expandables versus fixed blades

This is 2 deer in a row that I've shot using the Trophy Taker Ulmer Edge expandable broadheads. They will also be the last 2. Both deer were recovered and I only got 5-6" penetration with no exit wound

I have used 3 blade Muzzy forever before that and would always get complete pass throughs.

My reasoning behind it is that I am shooting from a tree stand and the blades aren't being 'expanded' at the exact same time.

Both hits were perfectly placed and at 15 yards with a Hoyt 70# bow

I can't even imagine trying to use them on an elk or other large animal.

Anybody that wants Ulmer's to go rabbit hunting or something they are yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have done well with both fixed blades and expandables. All of which have passed clean through. I'm not going to say one is better than the other, as I believe it is whatever works best for you. But if you are having trouble with your current broadhead I would not rush to blame all expandables in general. Try another type of expandable before you write them off.

I was trying to remember what type of mechanical broadhead I use and I finally remember. They are the NAP Spitfire broadheads. Been very happy with them.

Not worth it to try and find an expandable that might work. After quite a bit of time reading others reviews and forum posts of Expandables from various mags, there is a substantial amount if people having the same issues.

The main argument everyone always brings up is that 'expandables fly better'. Who cares if it flies better if it doesn't complete it's task. And I don't really think they fly any better anyways.

I'm just going back to my solid performing fixed blades that have always worked. I don't have to worry them

I guess I'm a little confused as to why you asked for people's input. Sounds like you already had your mind made up.

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused as to why you asked for people's input. Sounds like you already had your mind made up.
    At what point did I ask for any input. It was a statement. And yes I will classify all expandables in my own opinion. Why would you take a risk and try random different expandables to try and find one that might work

Yes your right, I guess it was a statement. My bad. But it's not a risk if you know other people have had nothing but success with a certain model. If you ever decide to give mechanicals a try again give the spitfires a go.

9. Likes 2065toyota liked this post

1 out of 5

pony1960
    Montgomery County Tennessee, Clarksville

Would you recommend this product to a friend? No

"Haven't tried the Rocky's, but I used the Spitfire 100 for 3 years. I had three instances where the broadhead failed to properly open. The first was a pass through shot on a buck. My arrow was stuck in the ground. The broadhead never opened, but the shot was good enough that the "field point" humanely killed the animal. I had a similar experience with a doe. Not learning my lesson, I shot a dandy non-typical on another occasion last year. I hit him a little forward, but was sure it was a kill shot. The animal took off with the arrow still in him. I found the arrow about 100 yards away. The broadhead was unopened and, judging from the blood on the arrow, I didn't get any penetration. I switched back to Muzzy's this year. I've had no problems with planing, and killed 4 deer with them this past year."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"i switched from spitfires to muzzys also due to blades not opening and no bloodtrails i switched to 100 grain muzzys i have shot four deer so far all expired within 75 yards with great bloodtrails and they fly just like my feildpoints right out of the pack i had one errant shot on a doe due to an unseen limb it hit her in the hip bone AND WENT THRU THE BONE ON BOTH SIDES she dropped and was gone in 60 seconds i will NEVER change broadheads again.

NAP Spitfire 3 blade mechanicals.

January 18, 2011
    JUNK. Two of the three were way off weight. 5 grams aint much till ya need it. Flight of my arrows change severly. The one I did manage to use @ 25 yrds didnt penitrate fully, so I had to track ruffedup leaves till she broke the arrow shaft off. Never ever had that problem with Muzzy or Grim Reaper even @ 40 yrds. I just threw them away, wasnt worth the excuses NOR the shipping to return them.

Share this review:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/reviews/...=1&*entries*=0

Your review is the experience from only one man. This is the overall rating average on Amazon from 28 people. Looks pretty good to me!

If it happens once then that's too many. I almost lost a 180" buck last because of it. Not worth the risk to me. YMMV