Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NEW CANYONEERING PACK

That exposed mesh collar will die a quick death when it sees anything outside of the wide Zion canyons...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hi Boot boy
    So far, we are very happy with the vinyl coated mesh at the top of the Ice Cube packs we have been testing.
    It is the same mesh at the top of our Canyon Werks rope bags and has performed very well in that application also.
    This Vinyl coated mesh is very rub resistant and shares a key feature with the vinyl fabric:
    It is easily repaired with HH-66 vinyl cement.
    HH-66 virtually 'welds' vinyl to vinyl without stitching.
    Knowing that all canyon packs eventually SHRED, and that duct tape only gets you so far, we have designed the Ice Cube so you can 'rebuild' the pack with our $15 repair kit (which includes an entire new bottom for the pack!).
    With the ability to repair/replace it's parts, the Ice Cube will be there for you a long time.
    Best,
    Todd and Desi

The pack looks really cool. Not saying you want to use others design ideas, but have you seen Ospreys new helmet holding design? It's pretty genius.

One of my buddies I guess visited your facility down in vegas the other day. Says it's top notch and had a good time talking with Dessi. Sounds like he's coming home with a couple critrs. No longer will I have his jealous eye on my descender. Keep up the awesome work.
    Skye

5. Likes harness man liked this post
    Thanks Skeeter!
    the helmet holding design is cool- but it is actually a rehash of a Black Diamond Pack helmet holding design from a few years back (I love the pack and have it in my closet) - probably designed by our very own Tom Jones!
    ...It is a lot of work getting one up on Tom...

Just an observation: doing the dry and very sharp canyons of Death Valley, I believe that many holes will have a tendency to snag and hang up on sharp obstacles. But looks very nice otherwise.

8. Likes harness man liked this post
    Thanks Dug
    We have followed the 'classic' canyon pack convention of perforating the vinyl on the Ice Cube (then backing it with mesh).
    Thing is, we were very careful about determining the best SIZE for all the holes- too large and they DO start to snag; too small and they
    do not drain effectively. We went for a smaller size (and more of them) to avoid the 'snaggy-ness'.
    One of the Ice Cube prototypes has been thru a half dozen Death Valley canyons and is holding up well so far-
    As you point out, Death Valley is a 'meat grinder' for packs.

10. Likes dug liked this post
    Hey Bootboy and Whansen
    Extended the top pocket skirt a bit to help cover the mesh collar at the top of the Ice Cube- thanks for pointing out the weakness!
    Yeah the 'gear daisy' down the back and bottom of the pack got eaten from down climbing and butt-slides- now it is just vinyl...
    Best
    Todd and Desi

Thanks to everyone who has been waiting.
    Production of the first 100 Ice Cube packs (25 of each back length) started today.

Name:  ice cube production.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  89.6 KB

13. Likes Taylor, Iceaxe, whansen, Kuya liked this post
    Awesome! Finally! :D
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

15. Likes harness man liked this post
    Will they be coming in pink to match my butt protector? :P

17. Likes harness man liked this post
    Umm, no...
    but we were able to source our high-tech pack laminate in a great red color (which was a challenge).
    It should coordinate with your pink butt protector
    Best
    Todd and Desi

Ice Cube progress...
    waistband adjuster straps
    Name:  Ice Cube progress 1.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  Ice Cube progress 2.jpg
Views: 977
Size:  98.9 KB

20. Likes spinesnaper, deagol liked this post
    Cutting Ice Cubes

Name:  cutting Ice Cubes.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  129.8 KB

22. Likes Bootboy liked this post
    WHAT IS GOING ON WITH CANYON WERKS PACKS ??????!!!!!!!!! ( and CRITRs?)
    Well....it is not our fault (sort of)
    Our 'day job' (that pays for all the goofing off) has gone completely bonkers and we have been trying to keep up.
    So we are hiring additional help, reorganizing our production lines, bringing on another canyon expert (our friend Carl)
    and working the week ends to get Ice Cube packs and CRITR2s out to you all.
    In stock date looks like May 30th.
    Good news is that feedback from the field has been very positive.
    Thank you for your patience
    Best
    Todd and Desiree

Name:  Yvonne field testing.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  99.4 KB

Yvonne putting the Ice Cube to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post
    Well....it is not our fault (sort of)
    Our 'day job' (that pays for all the goofing off) has gone completely bonkers and we have been trying to keep up.
    So we are hiring additional help, reorganizing our production lines, bringing on another canyon expert (our friend Carl)
    and working the week ends to get Ice Cube packs and CRITR2s out to you all.
    Good news is that feedback from the field has been very positive.
    Thank you for your patience
    Best
    Todd and Desiree

Name:  Yvonne field testing.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  99.4 KB

Yvonne putting the Ice Cube to good use.
    Harness Man, in your update you spelled CRITRs with a 2 at the end. Is this a hint of something to come?

25. Likes harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post

Best
    Todd and Desiree
    Any chance of a couple critrs by May 20th for my friends/customers arriving from GB and Suisse?

Regards
    Bo

27. Likes Michael_WB, harness man liked this post
    Hi Whansen and Bo
    We will do everything we can to get the first batch of CRITR2s out in time for you!
    And yes, the CRITR2 is the 'new CRITR'.
    Thank you VERY much for helpful feedback from you all, we have made some small improvements:
    CRITR2 has:
    Larger head opening which lowers the initial friction setting (makes CRITR2 friendlier for small people/ fatter ropes).
    Slightly increased edge radius (more rounded edges makes it run smoother without need for 'break-in').
    Slightly larger gap between upper arms and head to accommodate fatter ropes.
    Weight is slightly lighter.
    As a result of these adjustments the CRITR2 seems to have slightly wider 'sweet spots' and runs a little smoother for all weight classes,
    especially for small people.
    Larger folks may find themselves adding a little extra friction on skinny ropes but we find this change offset by the improved performance on larger rope sizes.
    CRITR2s in production now:

Name:  CRITR2 production.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  52.6 KB

Best, Todd and Desi

29. Likes ratagonia, darhawk, whansen liked this post