Views: 4334
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  ICE CUBE 4.jpg
Views: 3521
Size:  71.2 KB

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Desi and I are FINALLY field testing the ICE CUBE canyoneering pack.
    Thank you to all who have contributed suggestions and requests!
    Some of the features:
    Four different lengths (sizes) to choose from. Yes, there is now a canyoneering pack to fit WOMEN (and shorter people in general).
    Sized to fit (NOT one size fits all)
    State of the art suspension (comfortable memory foam, anatomically curved/customizable internal frame)
    Canyon specific shape facilitates down climbing.
    Internal hydration pocket
    Zillions of holes for instant drainage
    Built from the same tough materials as our Vinyl Rope Bags
    Made by us in Las Vegas, USA
    Capacity: 37 liters size MEDIUM as shown.
    Note: as the pack body is shorter on the x-small and small sizes (to fit smaller back lengths) we have adjusted the pack dimensions to keep volume close to the same. So you can still fit all your stuff! The shorter sizes DO NOT become teeny weeny packs!
    Weight: 4 lb. 6 oz.
    Price: $214
    Available when? this fall at http://canyonwerks.com
    Best, Todd and Desiree

New Canyoneering Pack

Looks good guys! Thanks for continuing to come up with new options for us to use. Can't wait to hear how the field testing turns out.

6. Likes harness man liked this post
    Thanks Hippo
    We will post results

The bag looks strong. Does the top pocket drain underneath the lid?

9. Likes harness man liked this post
    Yeah, that top pocket looks like a hat! I like it, I think it's groovy looking. As long as it proves to be durable then it looks awesome. I'll wait for the reviews, if it proves to be tough then I'll buy one for sure. I hope the large pack doesn't weigh more than 5 pounds.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

11. Likes harness man liked this post
    Yes the bottom of the top pocket is vinyl mesh.
    Glad you like the look of it- I was going for Darth Vader's helmet...
    we are working on the other sizes and will have more specs soon
    Thanks for your comments

Interesting design. My personal pref is that you have too many drainage holes. I think as long as it empties in like 30-60 seconds after leaving water, you are fine. IMO that many holes might compromise the durability of said backpack, or maybe that's an improper perception. Also, slower drainage also means that it sinks a lot slower when you chuck it in to a lower pool or a pothole before a spicy downclimb. Last thing I want is to be diving around fishing my pack out :) Other than that, I really like the design, the color, the functionality, the fit looks very adjustable (I see straps in all the right places).

Wishing you good luck in this venture! I think you have a positive attitude, are non abrasive, don't live alone in misery, or piss people off "in general", this gives you a huge "leg up" on your competition. :)
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

14. Likes nelsonccc liked this post
    We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post

Wishing you good luck in this venture! I think you have a positive attitude, are non abrasive, don't live alone in misery, or piss people off "in general", this gives you a huge "leg up" on your competition. :)
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

16. Likes Deathcricket, harness man liked this post
    I would think a dry bag would keep the bag floating. But the holes might compromise the durability.

18. Likes harness man liked this post
    Thanks all for your comments and suggestions!
    We spent a bunch of R+D time analyzing hole size vs wear vs drainage speed for our vinyl rope bags, and came up with an 'optimal' combo with the emphasis on durability.
    The ICE CUBE pack has a LOT of flotation foam built in. So even when you fill it with just rope (no dry bags) it still floats.
    With dry bagged gear inside it floats like a cork.
    Desi and I just did Old Bill canyon at Red Rock Las Vegas yesterday (for our 15th wedding anniversary!) and was swimming with a loaded ICE CUBE pack -not wearing a wet suit- and it floated me very nicely also.
    Best, Todd and Desiree

20. Likes Canyonater, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    I see what you did there.....
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

22. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    ICE CUBE in OLD BILL CANYON

Name:  ice cube desi.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  222.3 KB

Name:  ice cube todd.jpg
Views: 2853
Size:  94.1 KB

24. Likes Slot Machine, Kuya, Canyonater liked this post
    I like all the holes and don't think it will compromise durability.....for me the faster it drains the better and the more places it can drain the better....packs can end up in any orientation so drainage on all sides is a plus.

26. Likes harness man liked this post
    Our goal with the drainage is to have water dump so fast that you can hardly feel extra weight when you stand up from a swim
    or 'beach whale' out of a pothole....
    and so far, so good!

28. Likes Kuya liked this post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post
    Our goal with the drainage is to have water dump so fast that you can hardly feel extra weight when you stand up from a swim
    or 'beach whale' out of a pothole....
    and so far, so good!
    I think myself (and many others) find that very important. It's tiresome when you are pothole escaping and your bag which now ways 30lbs+ heavier due to the water, so hopefully it can drain very quickly. Even 15seconds is getting too long (1st world problems, I know). And having more than just a few or only the bottom holes for drainage, adding them to the sides is important too.

Looks good!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

30. Likes harness man liked this post
    Took the ICE CUBE thru Heaps on Saturday with Parker, Carl, Brandon, and Desiree.
    Awesome trip with a STRONG group.

Name:  Ice Cube in Heaps.jpg
Views: 2791
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  ice cube in heaps2.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  123.0 KB

Loved the ICE CUBE, and through the process of canyoneering with really smart friends have cooked up a solution for packing those darned helmet and rope bags!
    Pattern revisions in progress, 2nd ICE CUBE prototype coming up.
    Best, Todd and Desi

32. Likes Slot Machine, Kuya liked this post
    Sounds great, can't wait to see ICE CUBE 2!

34. Likes Kuya, harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post
    Took the ICE CUBE thru Heaps on Saturday with Parker, Carl, Brandon, and Desiree.
    Awesome trip with a STRONG group.

Name:  Ice Cube in Heaps.jpg
Views: 2791
Size:  117.3 KB

Name:  ice cube in heaps2.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  123.0 KB

Loved the ICE CUBE, and through the process of canyoneering with really smart friends have cooked up a solution for packing those darned helmet and rope bags!
    Pattern revisions in progress, 2nd ICE CUBE prototype coming up.
    Best, Todd and Desi
    Glad to hear you and Ice Cube had a good time in Heaps! REALLY HOPING for a pack by Sept 20th haha.... I need one for my Imlay trip! :)
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

36. Likes harness man liked this post
    A quick update for those interested in the ICE CUBE pack:
    We have created a system where the carry strap on our Canyon Werk's rope bags will buckle directly to the ICE CUBE pack.
    One (or two!) rope bags can be carried attached to the back or carried in front.
    This allows you to quickly stow or deploy a rope without blocking access to the top of the pack.
    We have also added a dedicated helmet storage pouch on top of the top pocket.
    Again, so you can easily stash or pull out your helmet without having to fiddle with the rest of the pack.
    Here is the prototype in action on a two day trip thru Right Fork/Direct in Zion this weekend

Name:  IC water.jpg
Views: 2602
Size:  166.6 KB

38. Likes Slot Machine liked this post