Thread: Cedar City - Things to do?

Cedar City - Things to do?

My daughter just started school as SUU so my wife and I will be in the Cedar City area several times in the near future, beginning with this weekend. We're looking for some fun half-day type hikes, canyons and rock art to do. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

I'm thinking about hiking Ashdown Gorge on Saturday if anyone is interested. We can provide 1/2 the required car shuttle.

Also, is Benson Creek any good? I've never done it if someone wants to show the way.

I've also heard of a couple routes in Snow Canyon if someone wants to team up.

Anyhoo.... We're easy and open to any and all suggestions, and we're always interested in meeting new friends.

2. Likes Mountaineer liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quail Creek/Water Canyon is a good one, if you haven't been there already. No ropes are required, but there are some moki steps to climb.

This time of year, it's best to avoid Snow Canyon (unless you want to explore the lava tubes), but it is a nice place once the weather cools off.

Ashdown Gorge is indeed nice and has a different feel than other canyons in Southern Utah. I'd recommend taking two days so you can explore up-creek and into the Cedar Breaks Amphitheater though. It's one of the highlights of the trip.

Also, the Pine Valley Mountains are really nice, especially the area around Whipple Valley and Further Water. The east side escarpment is impressive as well.

I haven't climbed it, but Little Creek Peak NE of Parowan looks impressive.

The Tushar Mountains aren't that far from Cedar City.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The last time I visited the lava tubes it was littered with drug paraphernalia, used condoms, and campfire ashes. Since it's a state park don't they employ rangers to clean that crap up?

Check out the Mountain Meadows Massacre site. Pretty sobering.....

I might be down for a hike if I get back down to Cedar after watching the Utes blast Idaho State on Thursday. The fam might be down as well since they rocked the Subway with no difficulty/complaint.
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

The last time I visited the lava tubes it was littered with drug paraphernalia, used condoms, and campfire ashes.

Glad it wasn't like that on my visits. Good to know.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I thought Benson was worth the trip over.

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ghlight=benson

Parowan Gap has lots of Rock Art if you havn't been there. I grew up in Cedar and there was always plenty to do.

Great thread. My daughter is also attending this year, SUU, so should be some opportunities to meet up and explore.

I realize you didn't list mountain biking but maybe now you have a good reason to hit Brian Head. Rumor is there are some great trails up there.

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Since it's a state park don't they employ rangers to clean that crap up?
    I've been to a lot of state parks in a lot of states. It seems to me that some get the primo treatment while others are treated like bastard stepchildren.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Blog Entries
    There is Mammoth Cave in the Duck Creek vicinity. It's about a 1/4 (or 1/2 mile) cave. It's a good detour for a few hours.

Then there is the Ice Cave located behind the Duck Creek Visitor Center. It's small, but is easy to access.

Navajo Lake and Cascade Falls (probably trickling by now) are worth a visit. A fun, short hike. And fun fact...it's the headwaters (the lake, not the falls) of the Virgin River.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Was at Cascade falls a couple weeks ago and it had 1-2 cfs flowing still

How has nobody mentioned the best thing to do in Cedar? Eat at Centro Pizzeria!!

https://www.facebook.com/CentroPizze...60363220729661

Get the arugula pizza for sure and then either the sorpressata or whatever special they have. Post a picture for me if you go.
    You May All Go To Hell And I Will Go To Texas

Hit up The Hub pizzeria in Enoch, just south of Cedar. https://www.facebook.com/Enochhub

Their pizzas and breadsticks kick @$$.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnitsuaxx View Post
    How has nobody mentioned the best thing to do in Cedar? Eat at Centro Pizzeria!!

https://www.facebook.com/CentroPizze...60363220729661
    I notice a nice selection of wine and craft beer on the menu... nice....

Quote Originally Posted by rockgremlin View Post
    Hit up The Hub pizzeria in Enoch, just south of Cedar. https://www.facebook.com/Enochhub
    I see no beer listed on their menu.... we will not be stopping here to eat.

How about a good eating place that is not pizza? I've pretty much already had all the pizza I can stand in one lifetime. Any good bars or taverns in this one pony town? preferably one that has good food? This is a frickin' college town, there has to be at least one such place.

Toadz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike's Tavern gets the best reviews I've heard from my alcoholic co-workers.