Thread: New England Canyoneering?

New England Canyoneering?

Hi all,

I've done a lot of canyoneering in the Southwest, but I unfortunately live in the Northeast. Does anyone know any canyoneering spots in and around New England? Are there any groups that canyoneer in this area?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I'm also on the east coast (DC), and I share your frustration. It's astounding that there aren't at least routes in the east that approximate the canyoneering experience. I imagine there are a few out there, but because they are few and far between, communities haven't developed around finding them.

Another problem is that we lack true canyons. Even on established rappel routes, there are often multiple escape routes. The beauty of canyoneering is that once you're in, you're committed to some extent. Another problem is the bushwhacking and poison ivy out here.

The solution, I think, is to gather intelligence, get a group together, go out and explore, and write up the beta. You might fail to find anything good, but maybe you at least get some rappelling and route-finding experience. Canyoneering-like experiences may be rare out here, but I refuse to believe there aren't good routes hidden in the Appalachian range.

I have no idea about access issues or legality, but maybe inquire about Sculpted Rocks near Hebron NH.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonfodder View Post
    I'm also on the east coast (DC), and I share your frustration. It's astounding that there aren't at least routes in the east that approximate the canyoneering experience. I imagine there are a few out there, but because they are few and far between, communities haven't developed around finding them.

Another problem is that we lack true canyons. Even on established rappel routes, there are often multiple escape routes. The beauty of canyoneering is that once you're in, you're committed to some extent. Another problem is the bushwhacking and poison ivy out here.

The solution, I think, is to gather intelligence, get a group together, go out and explore, and write up the beta. You might fail to find anything good, but maybe you at least get some rappelling and route-finding experience. Canyoneering-like experiences may be rare out here, but I refuse to believe there aren't good routes hidden in the Appalachian range.

Yea, that's a great point, and you nailed the formula perfectly.

The "808 boys", aka Hawaii boys just recently put together a Hawaii (all the islands) beta site. And that's exactly how those guys started. Exploring, recording, and sharing the info.

If you do something like that, keep us posted. Would love to stay up to date if it progresses in that area.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

seems to be a lot of private property back east..

Quote Originally Posted by canyonfodder View Post

I liked your idea and setup a meetup based out of NYC: http://www.meetup.com/Northeast-Canyoneering/
    It might be a bit far for you but the Catskills are worth a weekend trip up.

I've been Googling around for stuff in general and the New River Gorge popped up as an area of interest. The gorge is a 1000' deep and some of the tributaries might be worth doing. I had pretty good luck asking on local hiking forums around here for info on waterfalls.

-Andre

8. Likes jman liked this post
    Thank you to all for your thoughts and feedback!! Indeed, a community around east-coast canyoneering is needed! I'll definitely look into Sculpted Rocks and New River Gorge. Andre, thanks for setting up the meetup - I'm going to register and take a look at it. This could be the beginning of a great new community!!

Quote Originally Posted by Northeast Canyoneering View Post
    I liked your idea and setup a meetup based out of NYC: http://www.meetup.com/Northeast-Canyoneering/
    It might be a bit far for you but the Catskills are worth a weekend trip up.

I've been Googling around for stuff in general and the New River Gorge popped up as an area of interest. The gorge is a 1000' deep and some of the tributaries might be worth doing. I had pretty good luck asking on local hiking forums around here for info on waterfalls.

-Andre