Thread: Water release for Kolob Creek.

Water release for Kolob Creek.

Please help translate Washington Water District water release speak for Kolob Creek. I am hoping to do Kolob Creek in about 10 days. The Water District indicates that the are currently releasing 3.0 CFS and will be doing so for the next two weeks. Can any one opine if this water release will prevent me from obtaining a permit for Kolob? Yes I have read that 3.5 to 5 CFS is the target water flow for maximum atmospherics in Kolob and above this the creek is increasingly frisky and at some point, dangerous. However, what I am asking is that when I show up at the Backcountry Desk with hat in hand with the information that the Water District is releasing 3.0 cfs, are they going to say: here is your permit have a nice day? Or are they going to tell me that any water release makes the canyon dangerous and it would be reckless to issue a permit under these circumstances? Insights would be appreciated. Thanks

Ken

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

For me 3CFS was perfect, for others the canyon was dry.... who really knows what the flow will be like. Some have even checked the river flow at the bridge before, and then when they got to the canyon there was no flow.

Good luck! if it is truly flowing at 3 CFS you are in for a fun and beautiful trip!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Kuya

I get that this water flow would be in the right ball park. The question is presently is the Park Service issuing permits for Kolob if there is any flow being released into the creek by the Water District?

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Kuya

I get that this water flow would be in the right ball park. The question is presently is the Park Service issuing permits for Kolob if there is any flow being released into the creek by the Water District?

Ken
    Ah, when I picked mine up I didn't have any problems getting the permit.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Sweet. I will keep my fingers crossed and eyes on the forecast. This might be my year for Kolob.

Thanks

With the water table the way it is this year, 3cfs will probably not produce any flow whatsoever in the canyon. We did Kolob a couple weeks ago, plenty of flow at the bridge, Zero flow at the first rap. We are heading there again this Saturday and will let you know what we come across. But this seems to be the norm with everyone going through the last little bit

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spinesnaper View Post
    Please help translate Washington Water District water release speak for Kolob Creek. I am hoping to do Kolob Creek in about 10 days. The Water District indicates that the are currently releasing 3.0 CFS and will be doing so for the next two weeks. Can any one opine if this water release will prevent me from obtaining a permit for Kolob? Yes I have read that 3.5 to 5 CFS is the target water flow for maximum atmospherics in Kolob and above this the creek is increasingly frisky and at some point, dangerous. However, what I am asking is that when I show up at the Backcountry Desk with hat in hand with the information that the Water District is releasing 3.0 cfs, are they going to say: here is your permit have a nice day? Or are they going to tell me that any water release makes the canyon dangerous and it would be reckless to issue a permit under these circumstances? Insights would be appreciated. Thanks

Ken
    The Park Service will not issue permits when they have good reason to suspect that the Reservoir is releasing more than 5 cfs of water.

The actual wording may be slightly different.

The Parks Service is a bureaucracy and works by following rules.

There have been times when people go to pick up a permit, and the Park thinks they are releasing more than 5; yet the call to the District indicated less than 5. If during business hours, the ranger can then call the District and verify the change. If not during business hours, you are probably out of luck.

My apologies. THE BOOK should be more-clear on this issue.

Tom

No water flow in Kolob as of yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    No water flow in Kolob as of yesterday.
    There is a bit of precipitation in the forecast this week. Doubt this will contribute much but you never know. We are targeting next sunday for our group.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    The Park Service will not issue permits when they have good reason to suspect that the Reservoir is releasing more than 5 cfs of water.

The actual working may be slightly different.

The Parks Service is a bureaucracy and works by following rules.

There have been times when people go to pick up a permit, and the Park thinks they are releasing more than 5; yet the call to the District indicated less than 5. If during business hours, the ranger can then call the District and verify the change. If not during business hours, you are probably out of luck.

My apologies. THE BOOK should be more-clear on this issue.

Tom

Thanks for your insight.

Ken

Doing Kolob this Saturday. From what I hear here and elsewhere, it'll most likely be dry with the added fact that they stopped releasing water from the dam for the season.

Quote Originally Posted by canyonexplorer View Post
    Doing Kolob this Saturday. From what I hear here and elsewhere, it'll most likely be dry with the added fact that they stopped releasing water from the dam for the season.
    Please give an update after your trip through.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canyonexplorer View Post
    Did you call?

What did they say?

In previous years, they have released water for irrigation in September - so I think the usual season goes through Oct 1 or so. This year though - they just have not had any water, and have had almost none to release all year.

Tom

Did Kolob this morning. Water district is not releasing and said they wouldn't release for the rest of the year.

Trip report to follow but virtually no flow. Still a terrific day in the canyon. 5/3 wetsuits plenty for our crew to stay warm.