Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRITR Rappel Device

CRITR Rappel Device

How many of you have used the CRITR Rappel Device? what are your thoughts Likes? Dislikes? I'm looking in to adding it to my gear and just wanting a little input from those of you who have had experience with it. http://www.canyonwerks.com/critr-rappel-device/

Thanks,

2. Likes harness man liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I have it, I love it! Best rappel device I have used. I have used figure 8, Pirana, ATC, grigri and even a munter hitch for rappelling, definitely love my CRITR!
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

5. Likes harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post
    I have it, I love it! Best rappel device I have used.
    Thanks for the info.

7. Likes harness man liked this post
    Thanks Eric
    and thanks for posting Chanobelli
    there is a pretty extensive CRITR thread on canyoncollective with some good discussion of some of the fine points
    And the blue CRITRs just arrived....

Name:  BLUECRITR.jpg
Views: 2263
Size:  38.2 KB

I ordered 3 back in May. I've used them a bunch and they are AWESOME! I love the ability to easily adjust friction on the fly. I HIGHLY recommend them. Great design...huge improvement over the other devices I've used.

Blue? I need to order some more.

10. Likes harness man liked this post
    Thanks dallison
    the CRITR was over two years in the making, and the most research and development we have ever poured into a design.
    It has been very rewarding to see CRITRs in the canyons and have others experiencing the benefits we have.

It's my favorite. Here's what I like: 1) rappels double rope smoother than ats, 2) way easy to add friction, 3) big guys can use skinnier ropes, 4) easy to add and withdraw friction while rappelling double/single strand, 5) flip device to spread out wear, 6) easy lock off for both double and single rope.

Thanks Spartacus
    We need you to write promotional materials!
    Best
    Todd and Desi

Sounds like it is good for lots of friction (big guy skinny rope), how is it with fat ropes that don't need much friction? I have a fat, static rope I like that just doesn't work well with the two types of ATCs I have but does fine with figure 8s. How would it be with something like that?

15. Likes harness man liked this post
    Hi Desert
    the short answer: it really depends on the rope and how well it flows thru a device.
    The CRITR runs about one setting higher than the Pirana.
    So if you usually rappel on the LOWEST Pirana setting then you will probably have too much friction on the CRITR.
    It is hard to compare to ATC friction.
    But generally the CRITR is NOT good (too high friction) on broken in fat ropes.
    Thanks!

I really enjoy the CRITR and agree it has more friction than the Pirana. I'm not sure what counts as a "fat rope," but I use a 9.2 that is definitely broken in and I find the CRITR just fine, even double-stranded, as long as I don't put it around either of the feet. Once I do that, it's too much friction. I'm about 190 and carry a pretty full pack.

18. Likes harness man liked this post
    Hi Darhawk
    Fat rope would be 10mm (and above) for sure.
    We have seen some REALLY crusty and stiff old 9mm that did not run very smooth in the CRITR.
    maybe it would not run thru anything very smooth except a big eight.
    Best Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Chanobelli View Post
    How many of you have used the CRITR Rappel Device? what are your thoughts Likes? Dislikes? I'm looking in to adding it to my gear and just wanting a little input from those of you who have had experience with it. http://www.canyonwerks.com/critr-rappel-device/

Thanks,
    Best thing about the CRITR is the customer support from the Owners! They sure do take care of their customers! Love it.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

21. Likes harness man liked this post
    Thanks Kuya
    we try!

23. Likes Kuya liked this post
    I will add my voice to those who love the CRITR. I prefer it over the Totem and it's way better than a Pirana. Very easy to add friction without coming out of brake position (which is why I choose it over the Totem). It also stays on the biner better and doesnt clank around. Very easy to set up in various friction modes. No need to get fancy with all sorts of different ways to rig it, as the standard rigging options are better than the fancy rigging options of certain other devices, IMO. It's also nice to support a smaller grass-roots company.

25. Likes Kuya, harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by deagol View Post
    it's way better than a Pirana.
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

I love my CRITR. I bought mine the second day they were out. I've used it several times now and I love the ability to add additional friction on the fly. My highest rappel with it so far is 230 feet in a waterfall and it worked great. If you haven't already bought one, you should.

28. Likes harness man liked this post
    Just got mine yesterday and can't wait to try it out this weekend. Thanks for all the input.

New CRITR2's have arrived (finally!)
    Thanks to everyone for contributing suggestions for the latest version of the CRITR.
    CRITR2 and Original CRITR

Name:  CRITR2- CRITR1.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  93.1 KB

31. Likes darhawk, hank moon liked this post
    The CRITR2 has been tweaked to run smoother on fatter ropes for smaller people
    (while still excelling with big people on skinny ropes).
    The friction 'sweet' spots are now a little wider and more rounded edges have reduced any need for 'break-in' of a new device.
    Slightly lighter weight at 4.4 ounces
    a bargain at $39.95
    Available now at http://canyonwerks.com

Name:  CRITR2 ON ROPE.jpg
Views: 2291
Size:  81.1 KB

Best, Todd and Desi

33. Likes nkanarik, hank moon liked this post