Thread: Pup Creek, Clackamas River tributary, Oregon Cascades

Pup Creek, Clackamas River tributary, Oregon Cascades

Pup Creek, a tributary of the Clackamas River, Oregon Cascades

Hidden away in the rain forested Cascades of Northwest Oregon, Pup Creek is one of those Clackamas river tributary canyons containing multiple waterfalls
    that flow down through the Miocene aged basaltic layers. It rains a lot up here. We got lucky. Out of the five days here we got one good day – partly
    cloudy and 71 degrees. It was the perfect day for this canyon.

With 12 hours car to car which included 2 miles of log and rock hopping, 8 waterfalls and a river crossing exit it was one of the most physically
    demanding canyons we have ever done. It was also one of the most incredible canyons we have ever done!
    Every step through this amazing rain forest creek requires a deliberate and careful foot placement over huge downed old growth logs, slippery rocks,
    false-floors of log rot covered with a thin veneer of bark, leaves, moss, fungus and tree detritus. Sometimes it holds your weight and sometimes it
    doesn’t.

High up the mountain off of FS road 5410 the log and rock hopping starts immediately. The upper 7 waterfalls are spaced in fairly short succession,
    each one with its own character. We down climbed the first 10 foot waterfall and re-rigged most of the anchors of the other waterfalls. We hauled a
    115, 220 and 320 foot ropes, a 320 foot pull cord, 170 feet of webbing.

The last waterfall is the well-known lower Pup Creek Falls. The anchor for this is off a big tree at the edge on the right side LDC. This rappel was
    mostly a free hang of 250 feet down to the pool at the base of the falls. The first 20 feet below the big tree has shrub and loose rock to contend with.
    The free hang keeps you and your feet off of the fragile moss and lichen covered walls that coat the upper bowl and lower splash zone of this most
    amazing and beautiful waterfall. My guess is that we used about 275 feet of the 320 foot ropew for this last rappel.. The 320 foot pull cord just
    reached when we extended it out and across the lower pool. Pulling from the left side LDC kept the rope and pull cord from tangling on some brush on an
    upper right LDC ledge.

We had several choices for exiting the creek and getting back to our shuttle vehicle parked across the river and up the road ;
    We could hike almost 4 miles west to fish creek road and bridge or hike almost 3.5 miles east to Indian Henry Camp ground, or have a raft waiting for us
    to take us across the Clackamas river, or swim directly across the Clackamas where Pup joins the river – none of those sounded that exciting.
    We settled on a 5th option that we had scoped earlier in the week. We hiked about a mile east to where a very large log lays across the Clackamas at a
    narrow river location called the rapids. I chose to scoot across the log and my sons swam across where the current eddies had slowed.

It was a great adventure!

Thanks to CanyoneeringNorthwest.com for Beta

Thanks to my canyoneering partners – sons Justin and Lorin for pictures and carrying big heavy packs.

Doug French

More pictures can be found at

https://picasaweb.google.com/1149702...adesJuly212014

Youtube of lower Pup Creek Falls Rappel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGl0aKcZIo

Some Pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images                                                                     
    Don't believe everything you think.

-Borrowed from a bumper sticker I believe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet. Those of you who have not ventured up there yet get it planned. Its amazing.

4. Likes Lfrench1985 liked this post
    Excellent Trip Report, thanks for posting

That's God's country up there.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Wow, nice trip report!
    Oregon is amazing. how as the water temperature?

8. Likes tiffanie liked this post
    Great trip report! A group of us will be going to Pup Creek 2 weeks from now. Good to know about the option for crossing the log as another exit option.

I just met your son Justin yesterday, and he shared this link with me. Great TR!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

I can't wait to get back to Oregon! Awesome report!
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey