Thread: Timpooneke Trail on Mt Timpanogos...how much snow is on it right now?

Timpooneke Trail on Mt Timpanogos...how much snow is on it right now?

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=verdana]How much snow is on the Timpooneke Trail right now? I

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

By late July I can't imagine there'd be any on the trail. I would think it's long gone. There are some areas on the backside of the peak that can have snow year round, but it's not on the trail itself.

Depending on the snowpack there is one small 15' section of trail just before you crest the lip of the upper basin that usually holds some snow until late July. Many people will have passed over it by now, so there will be a well worn path. Using a little care will get you over it just fine. No gear needed.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

The trail is all clear. Last weekend TERT reported some 1,000 people hiked the trail (both from Aspen Grove and Timpooneke). If you do go on a holiday or Saturday morning, plan on being to the parking lot before 5:00am or you won't find a place to park. If it were me, I'd avoid hiking it on a Saturday. Parking usually isn't a problem any other day of the week.
    Are we there yet?

6. Likes Don liked this post

Wow, so the trail avoids all that snow?! I took this pic from American Fork Twin Peaks, which is where I ended up hiking today. There definitely weren't 100's of people on the Twin Peaks, so it was probably a much better choice for me. But there were several times that many at Snowbird by the time I got out of there!

Yes. That's actually pretty light. The glacier unslidable in July? You'll see no snow on Timpooneke.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

The trail, from the Timpooneke side, follows roughly the red line ending up in the saddle (red arrow). From there you can hike up to the left to the old tin shack at the high point then continue left and slide (tumble, heels over head, die) down the glacier to Emerald Lake.Name:  Timp.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  41.1 KB
    Are we there yet?

That's pretty skimpy snow for July. Usually there is more than that.

The glacier unslidable in July?
    From the photo, I'd guess that it is probably too rocky to be safe (though it's a sure bet that people try it). Usually July makes a good glissade.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    The trail, from the Timpooneke side, follows roughly the red line ending up in the saddle (red arrow). From there you can hike up to the left to the old tin shack at the high point then continue left and slide (tumble, heels over head, die) down the glacier to Emerald Lake.
    Thanks! Shows how much homework I'd done: I thought the trail approached the summit from the "left" (relative to that photo)!

Glissading is a great timesaver when conditions are right...as long as you have the right gear (namely, an ice axe and a helmet) and attire! But it sounds like it's already too late for that on Timp this season.

BTW, thanks everyone for the help. Not sure I'll get to Timp this season, as I'm moving on to Colorado soon, but I'll make it up there someday.

No ice axe or special gear needed for the Timp glacier. Just slide down on your butt. You'll get wet but you'll be dry by the time you hike down to the lake. The glacier has an extremely long run out and really the only way to get hurt there is by not avoiding rocks that may be poking out of the surface. Late season sliders beware. Many people get bruised tailbones on this one.

Late season, I'd recommend an ice axe if you try to descend the Timp Glacier. It can help you stop before hitting rocks. Eve with an ice axe, it may not be safe due to low snow cover.

Actually an ice axe is a good idea and recommend any time of year, though many do it without it.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.