Thread: Trail Etiquette

Trail Etiquette

KSL recently had a short article on their website for some trail etiquette rules. While there are plenty of signs posted showing that horses have the right of way, followed by hikers, then bikers. I have not, however, seen any signs posted to indicate that the uphill rider has the right of way over the downhill rider. This is still common knowledge though isn't it? I'm curious what people's thoughts are on this. Any time I'm headed uphill and another rider is coming downhill towards me I don't stop. I keep going cause I'm going uphill, but I still get a dirty look from time to time because I didn't move to the side.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It's common knowledge and common sense.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Yeah uphill has the right of way. I feel that even if we know this but we choose to pull over for the downhill rider, it encourages them to believe the downhill had the right of way next time.

One easy way, if you don't like confrontation, is to keep climbing with your head down, avoid eye contact, and act as if you are too concentrated on the climb to see them. They will pull over. If they say something, this is a good opportunity to politely state that uphill has the right of way.

I've almost collided with climbers because I was going too fast, and I was sure to apologize and let them know I knew they had the right of way and that it was my fault.

Even if I'm coming down and the climber pulls aside, I thank them but also remind them they have the right of way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Trail Etiquette

Resurrecting this one...

Why is it that most hikers give you a look like you just shot their dog as you pass by on a bike. I always slow down, get over and say hello. Some get out of the way first, but the majority give a dirty look or act like you are an ex convict.

Has anybody noticed this? I've been noticing it quiet a bit in corner canyon lately.

It's because some bike riders are real asshats and ruin it for everyone. If you want to understand what I'm talking about hike up to Ghost Falls one day and you will also start to believe some bikers are jerks. I was hiking with the wife in CC last weekend and we were nearly run over several times. One guy even started bitching at my wife because she screwed up his speed so he couldn't fly off a jump. I was actually embarrassed by the guy to be a MTB rider. For every 10 polite bikers there is one asshat, and the one hikers remember is the asshat.

Damn stravassholes