Cyclist clipped by truck - VIDEO

http://youtu.be/Dvs3xrO9_gw

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Mountain Man
    That sure looked intentional.

Hit and run?

I wonder if the license plate can be seen from the video?

The biker wasn't in the driving lane at all.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

One of my big fears of road riding. It seems as though in one of Lance Armstrong's books he wrote about being ran off of the road a number of times in Texas while out training, maybe Texans really hate cyclists.

I've had people fly by me honking, throw little bits of garbage at me, and hang out windows yelling at me but so far no one has really tried to hit me. Just for the record I try to stay out of the lane if at all possible too.

It sure looks like with a little work they could pull that license plate off of that video.

You should see the nutjob cyclists on the Alpine Loop on Saturday mornings. They constantly ride two abreast and yell at you if you drive over 10 mph, even though the speed limit is 20. Come on people, it's not the Provo River Parkway. We SHARE the road.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Mountain Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mxerhale View Post
    I've had people fly by me honking, throw little bits of garbage at me, and hang out windows yelling at me but so far no one has really tried to hit me.
    As have I. Astonishing to be blithely riding along and have someone cuss you out while they pass. But, I did have someone almost take me out. I did not assume it was intentional at the moment, but after several years of seeing side swipes I think it was.

Quote Originally Posted by mxerhale View Post
    I've had people fly by me honking, throw little bits of garbage at me, and hang out windows yelling at me but so far no one has really tried to hit me. Just for the record I try to stay out of the lane if at all possible too.
    The way I read Utah's updated cycling laws, any of these actions are now considered assault. I ride the road a lot. I've had people, mostly teenagers, scream at me just for 'fun' as they fly past. I've had a Slurpee thrown at me. If I could ever catch up to them at a stop light or something, I will call the cops. The hard part is catching up to them to get a license plate number and/or photo.
    Are we there yet?

What blows my mind about this video is just how long it took for someone to stop and render aid.
    Are we there yet?

Blog Entries

Cyclist clipped by truck - VIDEO

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    What blows my mind about this video is just how long it took for someone to stop and render aid.
    I agree.

You would think you see anyone laying down in the road not moving would render anyone to stop and see what was going on.

But I think some people get the "no...that can't be what I saw....just ignore it" or "if I ignore it...I don't have to deal with it" mind-set.

Sad.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar
    That video is the primary reason I stopped biking on the road. The last time I biked to work (about 8 miles one-way), I'd constantly either feel the exhaust from vehicles passing by or get so dangerously close to being hit, that it just wasnt worth the risk. I'll stick to trails and the Jordan River Parkway for now.

And, I have to agree with @Sun Dance. I routinely see bikers running either Redwood or Hwy73 (narrow sections) 2 abreast and partially in the road. If I'm towing my 5th wheel, there's nowhere for me to safely slide over without hitting oncoming traffic.
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

Share the road, bikers paved the way for modern highways? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Roads_Movement

You should see the nutjob cyclists on the Alpine Loop on Saturday mornings.
    True; I would never bike that road.

The biker in the video though is well out of the driving lane.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Bringing this story back to the front, Mark visits SLC frequently and is doing pretty good. He had a broken scapula, 7 broken ribs and a punctured lung. The driver of the truck DID stop. But things start getting odd after this. Local riders had reported this same driver as "buzzing" riders. Looks like he got too close. Mark has hired legal help for this. I've been in touch with him since my own accident a few years ago, he went for a run yesterday, 1.25 mile and felt pretty good. He is a tough guy at 57.

15. Likes Scott P liked this post