Thread: Seeking, but not finding peace in the Tetons

Blog Entries

Seeking, but not finding peace in the Tetons

I just read this on the SL Tribune this morning and got a kick of out it...

[QUOTE]
    My wife and I needed some alone time, so we went to beautiful Jackson Hole for the weekend. Big mistake. Huge.
    The idea was to decompress from grandkids, deadlines and yard work. We'd spend three days walking through the woods, seeing the natural wonders of the Tetons, eating great food and shopping.
    Jackson Hole seemed like the perfect place for that sort of thing. It had been years since our last visit. It was time for another.
    Unfortunately, the entire world had the same idea. It was Jackson's centennial birthday. To celebrate, the town sent invitations throughout the known galaxy. Most recipients RSVPed in person.
    The idea of getting away is to avoid stress. Maybe you're the kind of person who finds a mob of people mindlessly wandering in 270 directions at once relaxing. I am not.

I personally believe that large groups of confused people are why God lets us have plagues, napalm, volcanoes, nuclear weapons and the occasional meteor.

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]There was just such a situation in the middle of Jackson. Vehicles (including a traffic-jamming stagecoach) and people (none of whom appeared to know where the hell they were going) crammed themselves into and around the park for
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Yeah. Jackson has been ruined! Just terrible!!! Now I go to Moab or Springdale to get away from it all.

Anyone else feel the same these days, as Kirby did?
    Usually not, because if I didn't want crowds I can still go somewhere else or go in a different season. The Tetons still have plenty of places where you can find solitude, even on a holiday weekend (though yes, you still have to experience some traffic driving there). I've also been to the park in seasons when it was almost empty and when I never saw a soul, even in the normal summer tourist places.

If you don't like crowds, then don't be part of them. If you don't mind crowds, it doesn't matter anyway. It's easy to pick and choose.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

5. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Yeah. Jackson has been ruined! Just terrible!!! Now I go to Moab or Springdale to get away from it all.
    Ha ha, very clever. Nice.

Springdale? It's like Disneyland these days.