Thread: Mt. Nebo, which peak is highest?

Mt. Nebo, which peak is highest?

There seems to be some discrepancy as to whether the north or south peaks of Mt. Nebo are higher, per this link: http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Nebo_0000.asp. If you have some definitive proof or even opinion one way or another, I'd like to know what the proof is, or what you think.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

There is no discrepancy as to which is higher. While USGS maps aren't exact, the north peak of Nebo is definitely the highest.

Perhaps you are referring to this post?

I just hiked to the North Summit last weekend (08/22/2010) and brought my GPS on the trip. Matty Ross, the person who submitted this write-up has his facts all wrong. The elevation of North Peak of Nebo is 11,174 ft. not 11,928 ft., as he has stated. (The North summit is approx.700 ft. less than the South Peak which stands at 11,877 ft.). This is according to the Wasatch Hiking map of the Provo Area published by the University of Utah and sold at REI. My GPS says the distance by foot from the Monument Trailhead to the summit was 5.24 miles, one way (10.48 miles round trip) and not the 8.84 miles he has stated. The elevation gain was 3,189 ft., according to my GPS and not 3,800 ft., as stated. I might also mention that my GPS was with

If this is what you are referring to, the person posting is confusing North Peak with the north peak of Mount Nebo. They are not the same thing. See the map:

Name:  Nebo.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  185.8 KB
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

4. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    There is no discrepancy as to which is higher. While USGS maps aren't exact, the north peak of Nebo is definitely the highest.

Perhaps you are referring to this post?

I just hiked to the North Summit last weekend (08/22/2010) and brought my GPS on the trip. Matty Ross, the person who submitted this write-up has his facts all wrong. The elevation of North Peak of Nebo is 11,174 ft. not 11,928 ft., as he has stated. (The North summit is approx.700 ft. less than the South Peak which stands at 11,877 ft.). This is according to the Wasatch Hiking map of the Provo Area published by the University of Utah and sold at REI. My GPS says the distance by foot from the Monument Trailhead to the summit was 5.24 miles, one way (10.48 miles round trip) and not the 8.84 miles he has stated. The elevation gain was 3,189 ft., according to my GPS and not 3,800 ft., as stated. I might also mention that my GPS was with

If this is what you are referring to, the person posting is confusing North Peak with the north peak of Mount Nebo. They are not the same thing. See the map:

Name:  Nebo.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  185.8 KB
    Yeah, Scott, I was thinking of that post, but if I'd have read it again, I would have understood wherein the confusion lies, because after I posted here I looked at several other sites and found out about North Peak and North Summit etc. Thanks for the help.