Thread: Recommended Water Filters

Recommended Water Filters

Hey all, I'm in the market for a new water filter. What do you recommend?

I'm currently looking at this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5W43LXJTJ7VOVU

What features in a water filter would you recommend?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Have you seen/used the UV things? They are pretty nice. I don't own one, but if I were to spend $80 on gear, that would be the next item on the list.

I've got a Sawyer Mini on the way (http://amzn.to/1opCRBe). The thing I like best about it is that you can back flush it in the field, and it's only $20! It filters down to 0.1 micron vs the 0.3 of the Katadyn you linked to. It might not have the convenience of a pump, but for the savings, I think each person could have their own Sawyer Mini and not be dependent on someone else when they need to get fresh water.

Mountain Man
    Another vote for the Sawyer mini. Very good flow rate, extremely small and light (2 oz) means you're more likely to carry it, and an insane 100k gallon life cycle.

Try the steripen. I love mine. Very light weight and easy to use. No pumping! Only downside is in areas with muddy water, in which case you will need a pre-filter.

We use the MSR miniworks EX. Has always worked well. I like the ability to clean it quickly in the field as the ceramic filter gets plugged up. Mine has filled at least 200 nalgene bottles so far

Have you considered a Platypus Gravityworks?

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpa...s-GravityWorks

I own a Katadyn Vario, Katadyn Pocket and Katadyn Basecamp Gravity Drip; have owned a Waterworks 2, Miniworks, and Katadyn Hiker (originally Pur Hiker). Have used Steripen and MSR Hyperflow. Folks I work with and customers SWEAR by the Platypus Gravityworks!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post

I own a Katadyn Vario, Katadyn Pocket and Katadyn Basecamp Gravity Drip; have owned a Waterworks 2, Miniworks, and Katadyn Hiker (originally Pur Hiker). Have used Steripen and MSR Hyperflow. Folks I work with and customers SWEAR by the Platypus Gravityworks!!!!!
    +1 for the Gravityworks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. I was looking at the gravityworks type of hanging filter bags, very good idea. But then I thought of situations where I may not have a tree nearby to hang it on, maybe only some small brush up in the higher elevations. I guess an elevated rock would do the trick too. But then maybe I might only find a trickle of water where I couldn't dip the whole bag in. Nonetheless, it looks like a great product for the majority of camping situations.

I ended up going with a Katadyn Vario, I liked the switch between faster flow water or long standing water.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post

Best 110 bucks I have spent for camping gear hands down. It ROCKS and is super fast and the easy backflush is a bonus. Another huge plus is that you can carry back to camp the 4 liters of clean as well as 4 liters of dirty water that will filter into the clean bag as soon as there is space! I used this on our last scout hike to Red Pine and 8 liters of bitter cold spring water in camp was DA BOMB!!!!!!!!

I am going to pick up a Platypus. I do like my Sawyer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    We use the MSR miniworks EX. Has always worked well. I like the ability to clean it quickly in the field as the ceramic filter gets plugged up. Mine has filled at least 200 nalgene bottles so far
    I have used mine for two years with no belly aches.First time we used it we drank the filtered stream water and then saw the decomposed deer fifty feet up stream so it worked!.

Platypus Gravityworks looks awesome.

A little late in the thread here, but I love my Sawyer Squeeze system. That filter is pretty amazing and it backflushes easily. I also use a Steripen Adventurer and I like how automated it is. Takes about 45 seconds to UV purify a liter of water.

half hearted enthusiast Kashmire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Thanks for the input. I was looking at the gravityworks type of hanging filter bags, very good idea. But then I thought of situations where I may not have a tree nearby to hang it on, maybe only some small brush up in the higher elevations. I guess an elevated rock would do the trick too. But then maybe I might only find a trickle of water where I couldn't dip the whole bag in. Nonetheless, it looks like a great product for the majority of camping situations.

I ended up going with a Katadyn Vario, I liked the switch between faster flow water or long standing water.
    I like the lever style of pump and the ability to switch flow rate... You just have to make sure you let it dry fully before you store it, or take it apart to store... I have had to replace carbon filters from mildew and I let it sit out for a day or two to dry... Now before I store it I remove the carbon and help it dry...

I have used the MSR miniworks EX for years without a failure. This year I just purchased the Platypus Gravityworks. These past couple trips where so awesome with the Platypus Gravityworks. Show up at camp dip the bag into the creek and hang from a tree. A few minutes later you have a dispenser full of good water. I purchased the optional carbon element. Two dips supplied three of us with all the water we needed for one night, 2 days, No pumping!

Quote Originally Posted by waschlappen View Post
    I've got a Sawyer Mini on the way (http://amzn.to/1opCRBe). The thing I like best about it is that you can back flush it in the field, and it's only $20! It filters down to 0.1 micron vs the 0.3 of the Katadyn you linked to. It might not have the convenience of a pump, but for the savings, I think each person could have their own Sawyer Mini and not be dependent on someone else when they need to get fresh water.

+1 on the sawyer. I had a Pur Hiker for 10 years or so but it was heavy and always needed cleaning. I've got the two sawyer one's now and they are so small and light. They're great.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    +1 on the sawyer. I had a Pur Hiker for 10 years or so but it was heavy and always needed cleaning. I've got the two sawyer one's now and they are so small and light. They're great.
    Just realized we are all replying to a year old thread.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!