Thread: PC not reading files from camera

PC not reading files from camera

I need help with a camera issue. I've always been able to plug my Canon T2i into one of the USB ports on my computer and it will nearly immediately show up on the screen asking me if I want to view the files (it gives me some other choices as well). Now, I plug it in and nothing happens. I can't find it under the "Computer" setting and no portable devices are found in Device Manager. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but it happened after I tried to use a new Targus card reader, which also failed to show up (although it did say it was installing drivers, and then nothing). But that may or may not have had anything to do with it. I'v tried a thumb drive in the USB port and the files show up on that, so I know the port itself isn't the issue...and I used two different cables for the card reader and the camera and so I'm assuming that the cables aren't the culprit either.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sure sounds like a card gone bad to me. If you take another card and shoot a few shots and then try does it read? Also, if you take the suspicious card and try it with a different computer does that computer read it?

A photo site I frequent claims that anyone that just deletes files from their card each time is destined to have the card suddenly go bad on them. They recommend formatting the card each time after uploading the photos. With the T2i you can do that in-camera.

Let us know what you come up with.

Couple of things to try:

Try it in another computer. Could be the letter drive name of the port, might need to be renamed to a different letter.

On your camera is there a "play" mode or media mode? Switch to that and listen for the recognition sound from the pc.

If the computer isn't seeing the drive itself, it's not a problem with the files on the card so that's good news.

Been a while since I used win but sounds like a driver issue to me. I'd try restoring to the last checkpoint before you installed the Targus drives and go from there.
    Charlie...
    Stalking Light

When you have the camera connected via the USB cord, please make sure that you have the camera powered on. The computer will not recognize a USB connection when the camera is powered off. You also need to have a SD card inserted, for the computer to recognize a connection.

So, I should've posted this long ago, but, my culprit ended up being the USB cable itself. It seems I needed one with a noise eliminator built into it. Once I used that kind of cable, it worked fine. Now I've got an updated card reader, that works well too, so I'm all set. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    So, I should've posted this long ago, but, my culprit ended up being the USB cable itself. It seems I needed one with a noise eliminator built into it. Once I used that kind of cable, it worked fine. Now I've got an updated card reader, that works well too, so I'm all set. Thanks for all your suggestions.
    A noise eliminator in a usb cable? Can't say I've ever come across that one before.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    A noise eliminator in a usb cable? Can't say I've ever come across that one before.
    Check this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheath_current_filter