Thread: Pelican cases??

Pelican cases??

I've been using Pelican camera cases for years now (especially canyoneering). I recently got a new one (1010 same size as I always get), and it leaked and drowned my camera. Thinking it was just a fluke, like an idiot, I got another camera and another pelican case and guess what happened yesterday?

Seriously, those things used to be waterproof. What happened with Pelican cases?

PS, yes, the camera was the right size for the case.

Any similar stories?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kelsey had trouble with them, too. He told me he never really trusted them. I've always used heavy duty freezer bags...never had a problem.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

Blog Entries
    I have the 1010 version as well and haven't had one problem, in 5+ years.

When I put my camera inside and before I latch it I press down on the case with firm pressure and then latch it. Also, there is O-ring lube that I stole from my paintball guns to assist with the vacuum process.

Seems to work.

I also own a pelican case for a work laptop and have tested it using the same process and no water has gotten inside (with the laptop removed beforehand, of course )
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Discouraging. I use a canon 90S in a canon made swim case. I am on case 3. I use silicone grease on the O-ring. (Challenger-bad when o rings fail). I also test the case at home in a bath tub. It is a pain but beats a drowned camera.

I am reminded of the instructions that came with my first SLR camera-an OM4. The manuals were not great then. There were cartoons showing things not to do with your camera. One of them was immersing the camera in water. It showed one panel with the camera in the water. In the next frame was a ghost camera with angel wings flying above the water.

Ken

My first trip into heaps a long time ago I took my super 8 camera. Cant remember the model Pelican Case (1020?), but my video camera drowned! I've been using dry bags since. No probs with leaking. I like the Sea To Summit Lightweight bags.