Thread: Box Canyon. Squamish, B.C.

Box Canyon. Squamish, B.C.

After three years of exclusively canyoneering in Utah I finally branched out hit Box Canyon (Squamish, B.C.) in my backyard. Last month while on a trip in Zion I was fortunate enough to suddenly *and finally* find myself plugged into the canyoneering community (after three years of doing my own thing) and with the contacts to make yesterday happen. Thank you so much new friends!

Squamish is a small town an hour North of Vancouver, British Columbia. It has long been a VERY popular climbing destination due to its world renowned granite. Low and behold...there are canyons there too! Two years ago group from Vancouver discovered this little gem and documented their first descent in a flick titled "Down The Line". Thanks fellas! To add to the spice-factor of the day, the approach to this canyon requires crossing of the DECEIVINGLY fast Squamish River. A few minutes of furious paddling and we were across and on trail.

To the business:

I had been eying this canyon for some time. I've been a bit intimidating by the premise of "C"-class canyons and all the prerequisite specialty skills that comes with it. Yesterday I was fortunate enough to tag along with one of the area's gurus.

One FASCINATING characteristic of this canyon is the interplay between different types of rock. The drainage itself marks the seem between deposits of basalt and granite and as one descends through the canyon observations of the starkly contrasting rock deposition are striking! Very cool! The other highlight characteristic of this canyon was the smooth, sculpted granite that more resembled the soft sandstone slots of Utah rather than the resilient harder stones of this area. I spent all day pondering how long the process took to carve this gem.

Lots of lessons learned....

Lesson 1 of the day: Don't toss your rope bag into a turbulent pool of water. I watched the whole thing float away...under some logs...and out of view. I nearly lost it, however, was fortunate enough to run across the bag, and all 200 ft of canyonfire precariously snagged in the next pool before the next drop. Sigh...

Lesson 2: Although easiest to avoid rappelling in the raging torrent, sometimes one has to put their head down and just roll with it.

Lesson 3: "C" Class canyons are VERY VERY slippery. Especially with the moss of the Northwest!!!!!

Name:  DSC00463_4_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  235.5 KB
    Name:  DSC00364_6_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  163.4 KB
    Name:  DSC00128.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  192.2 KB
    Name:  DSC00306_7_8_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  245.5 KB
    Name:  DSC00321_2_3_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  188.8 KB
    Name:  DSC00327.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  193.8 KB
    Name:  DSC00370_2_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  229.4 KB
    Name:  DSC00407_8_9_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  184.9 KB
    Name:  DSC00437_8_9_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 607
Size:  122.4 KB
    Name:  DSC00442_3_4_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  199.0 KB
    Name:  DSC00475_6_7_tonemapped.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  103.7 KB
    Name:  DSC00561.jpg
Views: 498
Size:  118.8 KB
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Saw the film....beautiful stuff up there.....thanks for the report

WOW! These pictures are wonderful! :) Can't wait to come up and see it all for myself someday.
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

Blog Entries
    Sweet! Looks like a lot of fun.

So how long is the canyon?
    Probably pretty short?

A 1/2 day adventure?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Sweet! Looks like a lot of fun.

So how long is the canyon?
    Probably pretty short?

A 1/2 day adventure?
    Well... the approach is logistically complicated with the crossing of the squamish river. This adds a noteworthy amount of time between set up and clean up. We (2 people) took about six hours car to car (not including setup and tear down).
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!