Thread: Zion monsoon season

Zion monsoon season

Looks like the start of the summer monsoon season is starting to build up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Figures. We're going to be there all weekend. We'll keep a very close eye on the forecast.

June and early July are historically the driest part of the year there.

On the other hand, I guess they need the rain.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully it pounds zion
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

This is the fifth year in a row (at least) that the first afternoon rain storm happened in So Utah on July 1st. No clouds throughout June, then on the 1st the skies open up.

No Rain drops last night but you could see a bit of lightning.

Kolob, pine creek, and subway were all sooo dry this week. :(

Flash Flood Danger Rating still says low, at least for tomorrow:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecasts/di...id=slc&pil=RRA
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

I hope Zion gets pounded this weekend. I would like it tippy-top full for next week....
    Life is Good

Had absolutely stellar weather for an early morning hike of The Left Fork of North Creek yesterday! Super fun seeing many friends along the way. Friends I shared a 21 day river trip with in 2013 joined in the fun! We got done pretty early (2pm) and my friends decided to do a run into Keyhole yesterday afternoon to top off their day. As soon as they finished Keyhole I got a text from them and they said they'd stuck around to watch the flash floods yesterday evening!

11. Likes harness man liked this post
    Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Had absolutely stellar weather for an early morning hike of The Left Fork of North Creek yesterday! Super fun seeing many friends along the way. Friends I shared a 21 day river trip with in 2013 joined in the fun! We got done pretty early (2pm) and my friends decided to do a run into Keyhole yesterday afternoon to top off their day. As soon as they finished Keyhole I got a text from them and they said they'd stuck around to watch the flash floods yesterday evening!
    Pretty spotty storms, from what I could see, driving through. Some spots got clobbered, some nothing at all.

T

As soon as they finished Keyhole I got a text from them and they said they'd stuck around to watch the flash floods yesterday evening!

Pretty spotty storms, from what I could see, driving through. Some spots got clobbered, some nothing at all.
    Yes to the above. We did Orderville on Friday since flash flood danger was still rated low. Great weather.

Last night it only rained a few drops in Ponderosa, which is where we are staying. Pine Creek and Keyhole flashed big time (last night or last evening) though (we didn't find that out until this morning).

Today the flash danger was rated moderate, so we decided to get up really early and try something (we had permits for Pine and Keyhole). I was hoping to be done very early morning since t-storms are very rare in the morning. There were three swims in Pine before the first rappel and we decided to retreat. I don't mind the swimming, but I thought it might slow us down enough to prevent us getting through in the early morning hours, so we retreated.

My son and I (the girls didn't want to go) did Keyhole in less than one hour and it was also completely filled with water and it was obvious that it really flashed (you could see wet sand and pine needles caked high on the walls). Incidentally, we found lots of gear. We found a backpack, headlamp, etc, strewn on the debris in the canyon. We packed it all out (since we did it early morning I assume we were the first ones through since the flood), but we wondered if someone got caught in a flash flood in there.

If anyone knows who lost the gear, I have it. Did anyone here of any incident in Keyhole?

Anyway, lots of people did do Pine today under partly cloudy to sunny skies, but I just didn't want to risk it though the weather turned out to be fine.

I cancelled our permit for Echo tomorrow just to be safe. I guess I'm overly cautious when it comes to flash floods, but I just don't like to risk them.

14. Likes harness man liked this post