Thread: I need some flint!

I need some flint!

Hey All,

I have to teach flint and steel fire making to about 300 youth in a couple of days and I am wanting some more flint. I live in Utah County and I am wondering if there are any close places to find a few rocks to supplement the supply I already have. Anyone know of a close place in or near Utah County where I can find some flint? Thanks.
    Life is Good

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

It would get pretty pricey but I saw individual sticks at Emergency Essentials last week.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

We are going old school -- real flint rocks with a piece of steel. If kids carried knives like I did they would use their pocket knife, but since they don't, I have some pieces of old files that we use for the steel. Those sticks are too darn easy!
    Life is Good

5. Likes DiscGo liked this post
    The San Rafael is full of the stuff. If you had time to drive down to hidden splendor, every rock you step on at the far end of the air strip is flint or chert.
    But I guess that's a long drive just to teach primitive fire skills...

7. Likes rockgremlin liked this post
    Thanks. I actually found some from a past trip to very near there. If I hadn't have found that sack of flint I probably would have done the driving.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Thanks. I actually found some from a past trip to very near there. If I hadn't have found that sack of flint I probably would have done the driving.
    Cool. I have a big chunk or two hangin around my flower beds...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Scott

Flint generally speaking is just chert, which is scattered throughout almost every part of this state. It's extremely common, especially in southern Utah. A rock shop would have samples they would probably sell to you for dirt cheap.

Here's a few close to you:

Larry's Jewelry & Rock Shop
    693 E 100 S
    Spanish Fork, UT
    (801) 798-2758

Pretty Rocks for Sale
    3006 N Indian Hills Dr Provo, UT 84602
    (801) 318-0058
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Thanks. I know it is very common and gratefully I tend to pick up chunks. I found a long forgotten bag of it in my garage. I didn't want to pay for it for the very reason that you mention - very common.

I had a fun time teaching 300+ kids and adults flint and steel fires. I'd guess that in the short time about 15-20 minutes of the rotations that about 20-30 kids got a spark to land on the punk and maybe 10 built their nest properly and blew it into a flame.
    Life is Good