Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on new canyons to explore in So. Utah.

Suggestions on new canyons to explore in So. Utah.

Love Zion, but have done most of the canyons worth doing and am looking to branch out a bit since the only canyon outside of Zion I've done is Neon. Any suggestions? There will be 3 guys, all of whom are pretty proficient canyoneers, heading out this Friday and Saturday. I'm looking for a shorter canyon on Friday, and a longer one on Saturday. Don't really have any preferences as to location, just somewhere in So. Utah.

TIA.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The season makes a big difference in which canyons are good. This time of year I'm looking for canyons with a lot of water (like Zion).

With that being said.... the Black Hole is awesome in hot weather. The upper and lower Black Box should also currently be "in season".

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Black hole is in great shape right now. Went through yesterday. Definitely a different flavor than the canyons in Zion but very charming. Not highly technical however if that is something you are looking for.

Zero Gravity is a shorter canyon with fun chimneys and some water. It could be done on Friday on your way to Cedar Masa.
    "Only those who chance going too far can possibly know how far they can go."

In addition to the above canyons mentioned:

Sulfur Creek is a real classic on a hot summer day, but isn't technical. Same with the Fremont River.

Music Canyon is OK if you start early in the morning and if there's water in Muddy Creek (the flies could be bad though). Upper Iron Wash is good this time of year.

Crescent Creek is a good this time of year.

Pleiadis Canyon is a good one, but it may be too early? It may be in. Professor Creek is good in summer as well, but get an early start on the approach.

The White Canyon area has some OK early summer canyons. Cheesebox or Gravel (technical section) are usually OK this time of year. Short Canyon should be good too.

Death Hollow is usually good now, but bring long pants or the flies will eat you alive once you hit the Escalante River.

Boulder Creek and its side slot are some of the best summer canyons on the Plateau, easily as good in summer as anything in Zion.

Avoid anything dry or with long dry approaches this time of year.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by bretonnia View Post
    Love Zion, but have done most of the canyons worth doing and am looking to branch out a bit since the only canyon outside of Zion I've done is Neon. Any suggestions? There will be 3 guys, all of whom are pretty proficient canyoneers, heading out this Friday and Saturday. I'm looking for a shorter canyon on Friday, and a longer one on Saturday. Don't really have any preferences as to location, just somewhere in So. Utah.

TIA.
    There are very few that have done most canyons in Zion. Just because it isn't on the online list doesn't mean anything

Zero Gravity is a shorter canyon with fun...
    Hey Actionpacker, I think our groups bumped into each other in Zero G over the weekend? We had just done the black hole. Was that you guys? If so, how'd you like Zero G? How was the jumping pool that you inquired about?

Pleiadis Canyon is a good one, but it may be too early? It may be in.
    I went through yesterday and there was still a lot of water flowing through, it was real loud and powerful. We all had full wetsuits and booties but were still pretty darn cold by the end.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bretonnia View Post
    Love Zion, but have done most of the canyons worth doing and ...
    Icebox North Pass
    Icebox Slickrock Pass
    S Taylor
    M Taylor
    N Taylor
    Bear
    Beartrap N
    Beartrap S
    Hurricane
    Volcano
    Leech Lake
    Kolob
    Boundary
    Goose
    Gosling
    Trespass
    Left Fork Full/Das/Russel/Regular
    Right Fork Full/Hammerhead
    Corral Hollow
    Imlay Full/Sneak
    The Narrows
    Dead Eye Dick
    N Bullock
    Main Bullock
    Checkerboard
    Not Imlay
    Telephone
    Behunin
    Spearhead
    Heaps
    Gunsight
    Isaac
    Walker
    Squeeze Play
    Esplin
    Low Fridge
    The Wedge
    Spry
    Lodge
    Mystery
    Mountain of Mystery Canyon
    Echo
    Lemon Springs
    Engelstead
    Birch Creek
    Second Notch
    Jacob
    Pine Creek
    Keyhole
    Hidden from the Top
    Lower Hidden
    Hidden Plus One
    Observation Point Canyon
    Pipe Spring Canyon
    Orderville
    Family Guy
    Jolley Gulch
    Shelf Canyon

- since you have done MOST of these canyons, I'd be interested in your ratings of difficulty and quality. (admittedly, a few are outside the boundary of the Park). There are also a few more worthwhile canyons, but information has not been published for them as far as I know. I did not include a few canyons that don't have much in the way of "worthwhile".

9. Likes mzamp liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    - since you have done MOST of these canyons, I'd be interested in your ratings of difficulty and quality.
    He said canyons "worth doing".... there are many on that list I would put on my "I did it so you don't have to" list....

With all the awesome low hanging fruit on the Colorado Plateau why bust your ass for a so-so or worse canyon.... just sayin'.

Your Milage May Vary.

The Black Hole

The Upper Black Box

Zero Gravity

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    He said canyons "worth doing".... there are many on that list I would put on my "I did it so you don't have to" list....

With all the awesome low hanging fruit on the Colorado Plateau why bust your ass for a so-so or worse canyon.... just sayin'.

Your Milage May Vary.
    One's bar for "worth doing" is a matter of personal taste. Perhaps my bar is lower than yours. Certainly my drive is shorter.

Tom

One's bar for "worth doing" is a matter of personal taste. Perhaps my bar is lower than yours.
    Probably just different taste rather than a lower bar.

Of course as you know, you are very much Zion-centric. I remember before that you commented that there isn't many worthwhile canyons in the Swell, for example, except for Squeeze and Quandary direct. Others think that there are several worthwhile canyons in the Swell.

With Zion, bushwhacking turns many people off to at least some on your list, but as you point out there are still many, many canyons in Zion worth doing.

S Taylor
    M Taylor
    N Taylor
    Do you mean from the top? How did you approach the heads of those? Were you able to get all the way up any of those forks from the bottom?
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Probably just different taste rather than a lower bar.

Of course as you know, you are very much Zion-centric. I remember before that you commented that there isn't many worthwhile canyons in the Swell, for example, except for Squeeze and Quandary direct. Others think that there are several worthwhile canyons in the Swell.
    Yes. I am also very North-Wash-centric, and Lake-Powell-centric. I used to be Swell-centric, but I moved on.

With Zion, bushwhacking turns many people off to at least some on your list, but as you point out there are still many, many canyons in Zion worth doing.

Do you mean from the top? How did you approach the heads of those? Were you able to get all the way up any of those forks from the bottom?
    Yes, there are projects to do in Zion, but many involve quite long approaches.

I have not done the Taylors from the top. Not sure they are worthwhile. Not sure how to get to the top, but there is an old trail up Horse Ranch Mountain that could be used.

Tom

There are also a few more worthwhile canyons, but information has not been published for them as far as I know.
    Oh the wonderfully mysterious "secret" canyon list.

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    It's funny how everyone wants access to the 'secret' list, when most havn't done more than 25% of the published list

Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post

I promise to get back to work and make shambles of the "secret list" this fall....

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

18. Likes mzamp, Taylor liked this post
    It's funny how everyone wants access to the 'secret' list, when most havn't done more than 25% of the published list
    Agreed.

When heading off to poke around in an unbeta'd canyon, I talk to people and search the internet for signs that the canyon isn't on anyone's radar.
    What is the intrigue of putting all the planning and studying and effort into descending an unpublished canyon that you know has been done before and is bound to piss someone off?

20. Likes MrAdam liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    Agreed.

What is the intrigue of putting all the planning and studying and effort into descending an unpublished canyon that you know has been done before and is bound to piss someone off?
    Just to be clear: The piss off is in Broad-Banding a previously descended, not-yet-published canyon, not in the descending of it.

Tom

22. Likes MrAdam liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    When heading off to poke around in an unbeta'd canyon, I talk to people and search the internet for signs that the canyon isn't on anyone's radar.

The title of this thread: Suggestions on new canyons to explore in So. Utah.

would seem to be about just that.

The answer is like the old baseball adage - "hit em where they ain't".

T

Perhaps my bar is lower than yours.
    Definitely!

Just to be clear: The piss off is in Broad-Banding a previously descended, not-yet-published canyon, not in the descending of it.
    Just to be clear.... only a very small minority are pissed off with broad banding.... while the vast majority of the canyoneering community is thrilled to have another canyon they can dream about descending one day.

If you guys haven't figured it out yet the major objective of this no broad band campaign is to keep most of you out. It is designed and orchestrated by The Great Ones (tm) to peer pressure you into stifling the flow of information. Yes you might be allowed the occasional peak inside the magic kingdom and think you are in, but make no mistake, you are not entering the castle. The easiest way in is to storm the gates.

You can be a wolf or a sheep, the choice is yours.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3