Thread: Wasatch Crest

Wasatch Crest

I finally got a chance to ride the Wasatch Crest on Friday. I decided to access it from the Park City side and do a loop back on the Mid Mountain Trail. It ended up being about 30 miles. It was really awesome and so pretty up there! I took my dogs with me and this was the first time they've done a ride this long with me. They did great! They kept up the whole time. I did get a little grief from people about my dogs when I got up to the crest because apparently there's two short sections where you cross into Salt Lake County watershed. I didn't realize this before I left Park City and it definitely was not mentioned on any signs heading up Spiro. I tell you what though, Salt Lake people are a whole different bread of people. So uptight. There's so many rules up there compared to what I'm used to around Ogden. Some trails that you can only go up, not down. Some trails you can only ride on even numbered days. Some areas where dogs aren't allowed. Crazy.

Name:  IMG_20140620_123219_066.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  70.9 KBName:  IMG_20140620_130859_439.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  70.6 KBName:  IMG_20140620_130902_619.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  66.9 KBName:  IMG_20140620_133351_594.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  62.3 KBName:  IMG_20140620_133406_997.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  64.1 KBName:  IMG_20140620_135819_258.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  53.8 KBName:  IMG_20140620_144740_455.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  49.9 KBName:  IMG_20140620_173355_478.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  106.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Your dogs kept up the whole 30 miles huh? Nice.

So what were people saying to you about your dogs?

Yeah they did great. I would stop at every stream to give them a break and let them drink. I was impressed at their endurance. I kept looking back towards the end of the ride expecting them to fall behind but they were always there behind me.

Some lady was getting upset at me and telling me I shouldn't have dogs on the watershed. I told her I saw the sign, but not until I was 10 miles into the ride and kind of committed at that point.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Here is the link to the map of the route I biked:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=e...2&source=embed

The reason there are rules in Salt Lake is because a significant amount of Salt Lake drinking water comes from Big Cottonwood and if everyone took their dogs into the watershed it would have an impact to water quality and change the type of treatment required. It's based on science and the needs of a large population.

You should've turned around if you were violating the law. You could have gotten a ticket.

Thanks for the report. I'm looking at hitting this next week.

Quote Originally Posted by ahansen60 View Post
    Yeah they did great. I would stop at every stream to give them a break and let them drink. I was impressed at their endurance. I kept looking back towards the end of the ride expecting them to fall behind but they were always there behind me.

Some lady was getting upset at me and telling me I shouldn't have dogs on the watershed. I told her I saw the sign, but not until I was 10 miles into the ride and kind of committed at that point.

Well, we have a million people trying to use the same trails and have drinking water in a desert and all of that. But don't let that inconvenience you! And sorry for being so uptight ...

I'm curious if a ticket would be given to hikers and bikers who pee in the bushes in these watershed canyons, because almost all of them do.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I'm curious if a ticket would be given to hikers and bikers who pee in the bushes in these watershed canyons, because almost all of them do.
    I'm certain they wouldn't. Hey I believe in protecting our mountains and forests too; and watersheds too for that matter, but I do believe there is a certain line that is crossed when it ventures into the paranoid ridiculous side of things. I believe that rule crosses that line.