Thread: Yellowstone/ Tetons

Yellowstone/ Tetons

I'm taking the family to the Tetons and Yellowstone this weekend and would like to go on a few medium distance hikes. Something less than 6 miles round trip. Things we want to see are thermal features, waterfalls, wildlife or anything else you might think is cool. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger1971 View Post
    I'm taking the family to the Tetons and Yellowstone this weekend and would like to go on a few medium distance hikes. Something less than 6 miles round trip. Things we want to see are thermal features, waterfalls, wildlife or anything else you might think is cool. Thanks
    Have you been to Yellowstone before? You can see everything you mentioned without leaving the car. It's a drive, but do both the north and south loop. Each stop just takes a short amount of time. The place is very family friendly. Lots to see with short flat trails. Keep the kids away from the thermal pools.

Blog Entries
    Personally I love the Grand Canyon section of Yellowstone. Specifically the uncle toms trail leading to upper Yellowstone falls.

Jenny lake - that's a good 1/4 day adventure in the Tetons. Tourist-y but still good. Plus , you can either make the 2 or 3 mile loop back or take the ferry back for some money. Either option is good.

Firehole river is a nice place for some geysers, swimming and fishing.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Personally I love the Grand Canyon section of Yellowstone. Specifically the uncle toms trail leading to upper Yellowstone falls.

Jenny lake - that's a good 1/4 day adventure in the Tetons. Tourist-y but still good. Plus , you can either make the 2 or 3 mile loop back or take the ferry back for some money. Either option is good.

Since you mentioned Jenny Lake, that water fall on the back side of it makes for a nice leasurely day hike.

We went last weekend and had a great time even though the weather was rough. Allot of the trail heads had signs saying the trail was closed do to bear activity. We stayed on the board walk areas in Yellowstone but did a short hike from the cooler bay visitor center in Grand Teton. Good times, but I would like to go back and do some more back country stuff.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I was told the Firehole river is now closed to swimming, which really sucks as it was one of the best things to do in the park.

Personally I hate being a windshield tourist and driving the entire park and stopping at all the tourist stops. I prefer picking an area and exploring some of the less touristy areas. If you want hot pools and geysers you want to stay in the Geyser Basin area (Old Faithful area).

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Whenever we do Yellowstone we usually do a half day white water rafting trip on the Snake River. Lot's of outfitters in town and the cost is cheap for what you get.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3