Thread: Strava

Strava

Who is using this app? I downloaded it a couple years ago and just started using it. It's much better now!

Add me: http://www.strava.com/athletes/1505493

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've been consistently using Strava for about a year now. I like being able to view my ride details like, mileage, heart-rate, calories burned, elevation gain, moving time, route map, etc. It's also great for trying to better your ride times on favorite routes and/or segments and to see how you stack up against everyone else. I 'accidentally' paid for the premium version this spring so I'll try it for the year and decide whether it's worth the $70 bucks or whatever it is.

I use the Cateye Stealth 50 device as my cycling computer. If you're looking for an inexpensive GPS with ANT+ unit, it's a great way to go. It's the same size as a traditional wired or wireless ride computer and tracks all the data I need a device to do (I don't want or need maps while riding). The data upload to Strava is simple and quick. Amazon has them for $100: http://www.amazon.com/Cateye-Stealth...eye+stealth+50.
    Are we there yet?

I love Strava. I use the Edge 500 and I've been tracking rides for a few years now with them. It's nice to be able to go back and see how your times have improved. Premium is totally worth it for me, the ability to sort all of my past attempts for a certain segment and see how my PR's have improved is fun.

I have learned though that there is a great disparity between someone tracking a ride on their phone and someone tracking it with a cadence sensor and a GPS unit. The mileage, time, achievements can greatly favor the phone user. Often times showing my buddies went half a mile farther on a ride than I did since the phone will jump around when we stop for a break.

I have found that when combined with a HR monitor and a cadence sensor the info is very helpful to see how hard you really pushed it or if you were lazy in a section.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

I've also used Strava for about a year now, although I've graduated from running the phone app to uploading rides from a Garmin 510. It is fun to see the details of your ride and track how many miles I cover (or don't cover) each month/year. I even like the comparison features.

I stopped using Strava because I was turning every ride into a training ride and that was sucking the enjoyment out of my riding. I now ride for fun and not against the clock. YMMV

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I understand what you're saying Iceaxe. I can see how easy it would be to fall into the mentality of trying to be the fastest every time out. While I like to beat times, I've settled into a routine where I'll try beating PR times maybe once every other week or so. By forcing myself to stay within a moderate heart-rate zone for the majority of my rides, I've found that when I want to push it, my body is recovered enough to do so. At my age (54), I can't go all out on every ride- my body just can't recover that quickly.

What I don't have much patience or sympathy for are the Stravaholics. Last summer I had some young moron come up behind me on a steady climb, but a steep section of the climb, yelling "STRAVA!" as he got closer. Or in other words, GET THE CRAP OUTTA MY WAY 'CAUSE I"M FAST AND TRYING TO SET A ROUTE RECORD AND YOU'RE NOT WORTHY! Well, it set me on edge and I didn't pull over until the trail mellowed out enough to where i could start pedaling again after stopping. When he passed he started giving me grief to which I informed him that he was the one being the dick and that EVERYONE is trying to set a good time of some sort or another.
    Are we there yet?

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum