Thread: Canyoneering Portland OR and Vicinity

Canyoneering Portland OR and Vicinity

Our family is headed to Oregon at the end of July and I was wondering if there were any kid friendly/noob canyons in the area?

I've seen some beta, but it's hard to decipher if it's appropriate for kids or not. It seemed like the ones I looked at were full class C and not sure we are up for that yet. I think we'd be up for jumping into plunge pools, but as for rapping in flow, not so much.

My boys are 13, 11, and 7. Everyone has full 3mm wetsuits (or more) and 3mm neo socks.

Also looking for scenic non-tech hiking opportunities that are away from the crowds.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Our family is headed to Oregon at the end of July and I was wondering if there were any kid friendly/noob canyons in the area?

Also looking for scenic non-tech hiking opportunities that are away from the crowds.
    Oneonta gorge from the bottom up is non-tech, gorgeous (no pun intended), newb friendly, but likely to crowded. Worth it...but a quick little outing if done from the bottom.

Name:  14494_10154109989775123_4122797851089805563_n.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  127.8 KB
    canyon to the face??? CANYON TO THE FACE!!!!

4. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    when I was there (October) the water was cold, very cold..

and flowing fast. .

6. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    My group is going on Aug 2-16, but we are all experienced and ready to do hard stuff. We are collecting and processing beta from several sources and posting it to http://ropewiki.com/index.php/Pacific_Northwest.
    There is another group going to do canyons in Oregon in June, they will probably post conditions on ropewiki.com about what they find, which will be directly visible on that page.
    If you go check any canyons in July it would be very helpful if you would post conditions too. Thanks

8. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    Hey Dave!

If you are in Cascades, the below creeks are rated as easy/moderate half day trips (likely the best of the Oregon cascades for the easy/moderate canyons). Of course, this will all be different if there is high water :)

Butte Creek
    Sardine Creek
    Quartzville Creek

You can find the beta on ropewiki.com (note the map is just an estimate based on descriptions provided in canyoneeringnorthwest.com.....please double check if you do these canyons!) The canyoneeringnorthwest website also has some non-technical canyons/hikes. Ones I've come across in the Cascades are South Santium River (a whole bunch of swimming, no raps) and the hike to Phantom Natural Bridge.

Have a great time and please let me know how the water conditions are!!

10. Likes Kuya, Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    A few years ago we did Eagle Creek and Bridal Falls. We had an 11 and 12 year old. Both of them were very experienced in slots but nothing class c. I would not take anyone under that age thru those. I searched for our TR but couldnt find it? There's a bunch of pics on pnw site of our trip. We went in August. They all wore 3 mil.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

12. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post
    http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...ia+river+gorge

Found it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

14. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post