Thread: Imlay. 6/8/14

Imlay. 6/8/14

We did a trek through Imlay on Sunday.

Great day with friends and family. We picked up a white pass the day before and was on trail about 5:20. It was perfect timing as the sun never touched us one time the entire approach. We suited up in the crossroads at 9:00 for our journey in, but there was another group of 3 just in front of us, so we hung out for a little bit to give them some space.

There was a lot less water than my last trip, it was flowing pretty good that snowy October day. There was no log soup, just a few hallways of old logs. We made a solid but leisurely pace through the canyon. Ropes were 2@120', 1 @ 80', 1 @ 70' and 1 @ 60'. This allowed us to set up multiple raps or escapes at a time. The hook was used one time, more as a novelty than a necessity as all escapes could be whaled or partner assisted. Suits consisted of 3mm - 5mm and all were comfortable. We reached the final rap around 4:00 on repacked all our gear and suits before heading off. The narrows was completely full of people, the most I've seen for a long time.

2. Likes ratagonia, harness man, Michael_WB liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I wondered how you guys did...
    You guys flew through it.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I wondered how you guys did...
    You guys flew through it.
    Thanks for the info. It really helped us to pack lightly. Everything except my neo gear and water I fit in pot shot. Going light but with enough gear makes everything so much easier and enjoyable. We didn't every hurry, we even ate lunch and then second lunch inside the canyon. The weather was absolutely perfect for the trip.

As for comparing the left and right sneak. Our group left the Grotto about 20 min behind the other group. We caught them just at the decision to go left or right sneak. We were going right, so they went left. We dropped into the crossroads at the exact moment they walked under us. That being said, I would say the left sneak is 18 seconds faster than the right

6. Likes ratagonia liked this post

8. Likes Wasatch, Slot Machine, harness man liked this post
    Kody. Thanks for letting me tag along. I think the right approach would have been faster if I wasn't so out of shape. I got decent video footage that I will edit and put up in the near future. some of it was pretty dark and didn't turn out the best though. I'll have to get some more of them pics from you and Eric sometime. Thanks again what a great day and great canyon.

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Nice TR Kody! Getting me stoked my my first Imlay here in a couple of months!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM