Attached Images Attached Images                

2. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

sorry they are out of order and sideways, not sure why

Sick! Nice photos!

How did you exit?

Is that Micah, wading like a boss?
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Yep that's him, and thats my foot in the corner. Micah had worn the wetsuit all day because he was worried about cold water and we had finally convinced him to take it off about 15 min previous to the picture becuase there was no water in the canyon. So I stemmed up to wait for him so I could get a picture of him swimming through the PH.

Nice. That final rap is awesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    sorry they are out of order and sideways, not sure why
    Fixed the sideways part, but not sure about the out of order part. I'll take some screenshots and show Sombeech.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

It only does it when I use my laptop running 8.1. It doesn't work well with collective either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Yep that's him, and thats my foot in the corner. Micah had worn the wetsuit all day because he was worried about cold water and we had finally convinced him to take it off about 15 min previous to the picture becuase there was no water in the canyon. So I stemmed up to wait for him so I could get a picture of him swimming through the PH.
    There would be more pics of Tom if he wasn't always standing at the bottoms of raps waiting for us to set ropes after he downclimbed them

11. Likes rick t liked this post
    Looks much cleaner than the last time I was there. It was a pitiful mess of fire debris after the fire raged up there. The one thing I remember most was the super sticky, thick black ooze in every crook and cranny.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonccc View Post
    Looks much cleaner than the last time I was there. It was a pitiful mess of fire debris after the fire raged up there. The one thing I remember most was the super sticky, thick black ooze in every crook and cranny.
    Ya, no real remnant of the fire damage inside the canyon other than the charred trees on the approach. Most of that is gone also, nature cleans itself up and regrows really fast.

TommyBoy told me that you exited UP the narrows, saving TONS of time. Kody, could you share how you set this up, and the total amount of time you spent, car-to-car?

Then perhaps, I might do Checkerboard again...
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

Traveling up the Narrows above Big Springs is against Zion regulations. Therefore it is not suggested to go upstream. If you were to travel up the Narrows, I was told by a reliable source that it takes 4 hours at a good pace to reach the shuttle vehicle that could be placed there which is only a 30 minute drive from the approach vehicle.

I plead the 5th as to which way we traveled.

With a group of 6 we were 11 hours car to car. We didn't necessarily hurry, but we did keep a good pace to and from the canyon. For ropes we had 2 @ 200', 1 @ 90', 1 @ 60w/pull cord. No wetsuits needed

16. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    Then perhaps, I might do Checkerboard again...
    It is a very good canyon, but it does comes with a penalty. Quite a few raps and lots of downclimbing. 4 1/2 hours of canyon with 6 1/2 hours of hiking. And that was with us doing a very efficient approach and exit hike

Traveling up the Narrows above Big Springs is against Zion regulations. Therefore it is not suggested to go upstream. If you were to travel up the Narrows, I was told by a reliable source that it takes 4 hours at a good pace to reach the shuttle vehicle that could be placed there which is only a 30 minute drive from the approach vehicle.

With a group of 6 we were 11 hours car to car. We didn't necessarily hurry, but we did keep a good pace to and from the canyon. For ropes we had 2 @ 200', 1 @ 90', 1 @ 60w/pull cord. No wetsuits needed
    Its not against regulations, you just have to get a narrows permit, but you need one whether you go up or down since you enter above big springs.

Ya. That. :)

I think y'all are making it too complicated. You pick up a permit to do Checkerboard(they probably won't know where that's at), say which way you will exit if asked, done. That's how we did it last year. If it's changed and they are now adding a second permit, ala Englestead/Orderville, that's too bad. One more layer of b.s. In the permit system.

I don't think I / WE are making it complicated.

Are you implying that it is our choice to get a narrows permit or are you implying you will help pay my fine for not getting a narrows permit?

Just clarifying your statement

Checkerboard. 5/25/14

It is made very clear that any canyon that comes into the narrows above Big Springs requires a separate Narrows Permit.

Any canyon coming in below Big Springs does not. The lower section is day use area.

I have received these rules very clearly from the officers. :)

This is not a new rule either.

Last edited by 2065toyota; 06-12-2014 at 05:34 PM. Reason: mispelling

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    Its not against regulations, you just have to get a narrows permit, but you need one whether you go up or down since you enter above big springs.
    Actually, you also need a waiver on your permit to go UP Stream. It is possible to get it, but you have to ask and be polite about it.

Has to do with the Park's relationship with Chamberlain Ranch.

I have gone up after Checkerboard too, and ... and... it really, REALLY sucked. Going down and doing the car shuttle is way better.

Tom

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Just to be clear - Kody's posse is skilled and efficient. Dey move Quick!

T