Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regal, Resplendent, Glorious, and Grandiose - It's HEAPS Canyon!

Regal, Resplendent, Glorious, and Grandiose - It's HEAPS Canyon!

Name:  _439.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  99.8 KB

It was my 3rd time through this majestic canyon. I had a strong six-man team this time, and Heaps was tippy-top full! All of these things together made for one incredible romp through a very difficult and beautiful canyon!

Full TR can be found HERE.

As I ponder upon my trips through Heaps canyon, it is hard to explain exactly how I feel. Experiencing this canyon is as much of a Spiritual experience as it is a physical one. My heart remembers the canyon better than my mind does.

Heaps is Regal. for me it is the King of Zion, for it is more lavish and larger than them all. It is deep and powerful and worthy of respect.

Heaps is Resplendent. It is full of goodness and light. Its white sandy corridors beam in the midst of towering walls of red rock. It is most glorious during the few hours when the light penetrates the slots and saturates the clear canyon water. Walls sparkle like diamonds and foliage glows emerald.

Heaps is Glorious. This canyon is brilliantly beautiful and delightful. Its majesty and glory remind me of the great God, who's hand created all things good.

Heaps is Grandiose. It takes things to the extreme. It has knife edge traverses, 500 foot cliffs, massive potholes, dark and deep corridors, chilling water, long swims, and massive walls. In some ways it can even be a little showy; feeding the egotist and pompous while squashing the same with lofty and imposing power; its majesty always demanding respect.

Heaps is the majestic Mikado, the kingly canyon!

Name:  _703.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  98.0 KB

Name:  _619.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  _741.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  _785.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  _405.jpg
Views: 1142
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  _407.jpg
Views: 1024
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  _421.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  _415.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  94.7 KB
    Last edited by Kuya; 09-29-2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added a video
    CanyoneeringUtah.blogspot.com
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Can you talk a little about your rappel device and how you like it?

4. Likes harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by skelley View Post
    Can you talk a little about your rappel device and how you like it?
    Sure thing :)

The rappel devise is called the CRITR. Canyon Werks (@Harness man) is the designer and maker of the devise.

For me the CRITR is a Hybrid of the ATS and the Piranha.

THIS THING ROCKS!! If you constantly rappel on skinny ropes you will love this rappel devise! It is super easy to add friction on-the-fly when needed, and rappels super smooth. For some reason you don't twist as much when on rappel with the CRITR either (no one really knows why). The CRITR is probably the most intuitive and safest rappel devise on the market right now. the reason I say that is because it is easy to learn, easy to use. Locking off on rappel with the CRITR is easier than any other devise i have tried as well. Like the Piranha and ATS, the CRITR fits onto you biner and stays put.

All in all, my CRITR's first canyon was Heaps, and we had a great first canyon!
    My YouTube Channel

"As you journey through life, choose your destination well, but do not hurry there. You will arrive soon enough. Wander the back roads and forgotten path[s] ... Such things are riches for the soul. And if upon arrival, you find that your destination is not exactly as you had dreamed, ... know that the true worth of your travels lies not in where you come to be at journey

6. Likes harness man liked this post
    Ok, I noticed the CRITR but what was the configuration? Looks interesting.

Nice photos and report. I like that you tethered the camera. Smart.
    Life is Good

8. Likes harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Ok, I noticed the CRITR but what was the configuration? Looks interesting.

Nice photos and report. I like that you tethered the camera. Smart.
    Thanks, I didn't want to drop it on that rappel!

I rigged the CRITR in Z-rig. I use to use a Totem before I got my CRITR, and the Z-rig was my goto rigging for long drops with my Totem. I LOVE how smooth this rigging is on long rappels. Because the rap devise is extended a few feet above me, my center of gravity is lower and I sit much more comfortable on rappel. Also, I have a VT prussik rigged on the break strand of the rope which is awesome for stopping whenever you want.
    My YouTube Channel

10. Likes harness man liked this post
    What do you have on the harness? Just a biner or do you have another rap device - in other words, is your z-rig to your rappel loop on your harness or to your leg loop? I can't quite tell from the photos.
    Life is Good

12. Likes harness man, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    What do you have on the harness? Just a biner or do you have another rap device - in other words, is your z-rig to your rappel loop on your harness or to your leg loop? I can't quite tell from the photos.
    The rope goes through a caribiner that is attached to my harness loop. The CRITR is the only rap devise in the system.
    My YouTube Channel

14. Likes harness man liked this post
    Awesome Photos. I have been using my CRITR and love it so far... Way smoother than the Pirana, but the big thing I like is how easy it is to lock off. Also, they way you have it all rigged up is quite interesting indeed!
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

16. Likes harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Holden View Post
    Awesome Photos. I have been using my CRITR and love it so far... Way smoother than the Pirana, but the big thing I like is how easy it is to lock off. Also, they way you have it all rigged up is quite interesting indeed!
    I hear ya Eric! The CRITR is awesome when it comes to locking off.

The CRITR Z-rig worked great. I like how smooth it is for drops longer than 200'
    My YouTube Channel

18. Likes harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    for me it is the King of Zion
    Me, too. Great TR and paean to Heaps!

20. Likes harness man, Kuya liked this post
    What is the friction like for the first 100ft? Do you have to feed it through?

I use an ATS and about halfway down (as fatigue sets in) I will just give it a wrap around the horns.

I like the way your device is rigged in a straight line which would make sense for eliminating the twisting. Like an ATC.

22. Likes harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by mzamp View Post
    What is the friction like for the first 100ft? Do you have to feed it through?

I use an ATS and about halfway down (as fatigue sets in) I will just give it a wrap around the horns.

I like the way your device is rigged in a straight line which would make sense for eliminating the twisting. Like an ATC.
    Good point. the CRITR Z-rig does allow for the rappel to flow STRAIGHT through the rigging,. That is a definite bonus.

The first 100 feet or so you do have to feed the rope through the devise. It doesn't bother me, but it might be annoying for some.
    My YouTube Channel

24. Likes harness man liked this post
    Great TR and interesting way to rig your CRITR. Almost a double sticht plate. I'm guessing still easy to wrap for additional friction?

Almost easier to snap the rope into a biner low on your harness leg rather than bring the brake hand strand all the way back up? Dunno.

I've always thought two ATC's worked best for me on Heaps, one pitched off a sling, the other on my harness. Smooth, no twist. Kinda similar to what you've done with the single CRITR. Totem would work similar methinks, but, no horns to wrap.

Sterling's ATS would rig similar, but, the CRITR's horns looks more "available" for additional friction.

Hmmm. Nice!

26. Likes harness man, Kuya liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Great TR and interesting way to rig your CRITR. Almost a double sticht plate. I'm guessing still easy to wrap for additional friction?

Almost easier to snap the rope into a biner low on your harness leg rather than bring the brake hand strand all the way back up? Dunno.

I've always thought two ATC's worked best for me on Heaps, one pitched off a sling, the other on my harness. Smooth, no twist. Kinda similar to what you've done with the single CRITR. Totem would work similar methinks, but, no horns to wrap.

Sterling's ATS would rig similar, but, the CRITR's horns looks more "available" for additional friction.

Hmmm. Nice!

You nailed it. The other times I have done this rappel, I was using a Totem. This (the Z-rig) was how I rigged it with my Totem then and It worked awesome; so when it came to doing this drop again with the CRITR, I wanted to do something I was comfortable with, so I rigged the CRITR the same way (in a Z-rig). I like the CRITR Z better than the Totem Z because the CRITR still allows for you to easily add friction, and lock off if needed. It is doable with the Totem and other devises, BUT it is just easier with the CRITR.
    My YouTube Channel

28. Likes harness man liked this post
    What the heck? Who is the skinny dude in the photos?

Nice trip report Blake!
    THE MOST TALKED ABOUT CANYONEERING TRIP OF 2017 - WEST CANYON VIA HELICOPTER.
    TRIP REPORTS: TIGER | BOBCAT | OCELOT | LYNX | SABERTOOTH | CHEETAH | PORCUPINE | LEOPARD

DON'T BE A STRANGER, LEAVE A COMMENT AND/OR SUBSCRIBE.
    WWW.AMAZINGSLOTS.BLOGSPOT.COM

30. Likes Kuya, pikan, harness man liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuya View Post
    You nailed it. The other times I have done this rappel, I was using a Totem. This (the Z-rig) was how I rigged it with my Totem then and It worked awesome; so when it came to doing this drop again with the CRITR, I wanted to do something I was comfortable with, so I rigged the CRITR the same way (in a Z-rig). I like the CRITR Z better than the Totem Z because the CRITR still allows for you to easily add friction, and lock off if needed. It is doable with the Totem and other devises, BUT it is just easier with the CRITR.
    Blake, you should probably point out that you practiced this configuration before this trip (I was with him) on our practice cliff ...might seem reckless to some that you didn't follow the manufacturer's configurations. :)
    Z-rig can be done with totem, ATS (I assume, but have not seen it done before), and now we know we can do it with the CRITR... I hadn't thought of two ATC's before, but it makes sense and would give a similar result. I did a Z-rig on this rappel with my totem and LOVED how comfortable it was. I should note that I tried the Z-rig before in a brand new canyon fire dropping into Englestead and was not so comfortable. Things got a little too fast for me toward the end of the rappel and adding friction with a totem in this configuration is harder, I was a bit heavier then too.

GREAT trip report and thanks Kuya and every one for your CRITR comments!
    Kuya's clever rigging of the Canyon Werks CRITR in 'Z-rig' mode is not in our 'official' instructions, but we really like the look of it!
    Just finished running the UIAA test for the CRITR Z-rig (as shown in Kuya's photos) and it PASSES.
    We are going to run some more tests, and will post results.
    Thank you very much
    Todd and Desi
    UIAA test: static load over 1,600 lbs. held for over 60 seconds. PASS.
    Name:  CRITR Z-rig 1,750 lbs.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  139.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Slot Machine View Post
    What the heck? Who is the skinny dude in the photos?

Nice trip report Blake!

HAHAHA!! yeah, it has been a while since we have met up. Let just say that I don't miss those 25lbs!
    My YouTube Channel

34. Likes Slot Machine liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by harness man View Post
    Just finished running the UIAA test for the CRITR Z-rig (as shown in Kuya's photos) and it PASSES.
    We are going to run some more tests, and will post results.
    Thank you very much
    Todd and Desi
    UIAA test: static load over 1,600 lbs. held for over 60 seconds. PASS.
    Awesome info! And, nice test set up!

36. Likes harness man liked this post
    Thanks!