Thread: Zero Gravity combo options?

Zero Gravity combo options?

I am taking a small group to the swell in a couple of weeks with our eye on Zero Gravity. Are there any good canyon options to link with that in one day.

The plan is to camp in the area and get an early start to leave time for something else after Zero G. I looked at Eardley, is it a good combo? It looks like a lot of hike with a little tech.

Driving from SLC on Friday afternoon, hike Saturday, and drive back late.
    Other canyons/combos are also welcome.

Thanks,

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

North Fork Iron Wash would make a good combo. The trailheads are also right near each other.

Since Eardley is strenuous, I don't know if many people would want to use it in a combo with anything.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

There is a recent thread discussing this. Should be able to find easy. I was going to do Eardey the other day but my wife offer me the cjance to clean our toilets with a tooth brush. I stayed home.:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

5. Likes hikster11 liked this post
    Could run down a few miles south to Goblin Valley and do Chamber of the Basilisk/Goblin's Lair for an easy finish.

Thanks, North Fork was the next option but the beta on Climb-utah didn't really sell me on it.

"it reminds me of eating BBQ beef ribs. It's a lot of work, but not much meat on the bone."

Man, who wouldn't jump at the chance to clean the crapper.

Thanks, North Fork was the next option but the beta on Climb-utah didn't really sell me on it.

"it reminds me of eating BBQ beef ribs. It's a lot of work, but not much meat on the bone."
    Most people say that about Lower Eardley. Niether one is known to be really high on the bang for buck scale, though both are enjoyable in their own way.

Anyway, if you come in from Iron Wash to North Fork Iron Wash, using lower Ernie Canyon (not to be confused with the part of the canyon cutting through the Reef) you get to pass one of the best petroglyph panels in the Swell. If you come in from the drilling derrick, the approach is very short.

The Goblin Valley suggestion is another good option.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionPacker View Post
    Most folks would consider North Fork of Iron Wash to be a crappy combo. Lot's of hiking for very little meat. The canyon would not be real high on my to-do list. I've done it twice and there is a good chance I'll never do it again.

I'd probably combo Zero-G with Goblin's Lair for a group of noobs to intermediates (also for those not in great shape). Intermediates to expert I'd combo it with Eardley (or for those in excellent shape). None of the canyons listed are difficult for tech canyons, it's just with combo platters you have to pay attention to energy expended or the second canyon becomes un-fun real fast.

It's a bit of a drive but I usually combo The Black Hole with Zero-G, we do The Black Hole in the morning and than stop and knock off Zero -G on the drive home. The good part about that combo is both canyons require the same gear (wetsuit, harness and short rope).

Black hole:)

Great info, thanks.
    What is the real hike time I can expect in Zero G from a group of 4-5 intermediates?
    "Only those who chance going too far can possibly know how far they can go."

If you haven't done black hole I would go there. Good one day trip.

Zero-G is pretty easy to do in 2 hours car to car if you don't stop and play along the way. But playing along the way is part of Zero-G's charm.

15. Likes ratagonia, hikster11 liked this post
    Ice, when was that video done? I have never seen Zero G that full. Nice!

As for the combo, the Goblin's lair or Black Hole and Zero G would be a blast. I am not an Eardly fan so I would say skip that. It is like a stadium hot dog. Pay $5 for a 25 cent dog. I would add that East Leprechaun in the North Wash with Zero G on the way home would be fun or if you camped and got up early, Larry in the roost with a romp through Zero G would be a heck of a day too. If you are looking for a close warm-up hike that is easy to moderate, then do Ding and Dang followed by Zero G.
    Life is Good

17. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Thanks guys. Ding and dang are great hikes. It has been years since I did that loop.

The group is looking for something more technical but I am trying not to get them in over their heads. Black hole or east Leprechaun may be just the right combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Ice, when was that video done? I have never seen Zero G that full. Nice!
    Memorial Day 2011

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

Personally, I'd recommend avoiding North Wash in late June, which is when it sounds that you are going. The bugs will still be out as well.

Doing a canyon with water is recommended, though something like Chamber of the Basilisk/Goblins Lair is fine since it's short and you can do it in the morning. Canyons like upper Chute might be OK since they are fairly high altitude, but I don't think North Wash would be that pleasant. If you do go, get a really early start.

I'm afraid my combo idears would end with a lawn chair and a cold adult beverage...

22. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Just as a followup to this thread in case it is helpful to someone looking for a combo.
    We ended up hitting black hole in the morning and Zero Gravity on the way home.

Because we were there early in the morning we parked at the end and walked the road to the trailhead before it got hot. Then the care was right there when we emerged from the canyon soggy.

Black Hole was amazingly fun and adding Zero G did make it a long day for the "less athletic" in our group but everyone made it and had a great time.

24. Likes ratagonia liked this post