Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Echo canyon - ZION

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    There might be some drops above my lower (usual) entrance that more-experienced canyoneers downclimb. Or that the anchor we use is closer to the start of the drop. Was through there a couple weeks ago (the higher entrance) and was a bit surprised by some of the drops in there (though I have not been through that higher section much).

Tom

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Absolutely deplorable and disgusting. Sorry, but I have absolutely no sympathy for your group or the injury.
    Wow, Scott. This comment really surprises me coming from you. Seems like a very harsh judgment given the fact it was a 1 foot jump. The dude broke his leg. No sympathy? At all? Yikes. Do you know this individual? Is he/she that big of a jerk that absolutely no sympathy is warranted? Is this keyboard courage speaking or would we say to his/her face, "You deserved the broken leg you sorry SOB because your group killed a snake AFTER you broke your leg?" Sometimes the comments on these forums make me wonder if we are losing our decency, humanity, and our basic human kindness.
    Life is Good

4. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    Wow, Scott. This comment really surprises me coming from you. Seems like a very harsh judgment given the fact it was a 1 foot jump. The dude broke his leg. No sympathy? At all? Yikes. Do you know this individual? Is he/she that big if jerk that absolutely no sympathy is warranted? Is this keyboard courage speaking or would we say to his/her face, "You deserved the broken leg you sorry SOB because your group killed a snake AFTER you broke your leg?" Sometimes the comments on these forums make me wonder if we are losing our decency, humanity, and our basic human kindness.
    X2

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    I'd be interested in knowing where you encountered a 40' rappel?
    Yeah, me too. I went through there by myself last summer and my 60 footer was more than enough. I entered where the trail crosses Echo a few minutes past where it goes up to Observation Point.

I also agree with Scott...killing that snake was boneheaded. If I saw that happen, I'd chew that person out with a stream of vulgarities.

I hope your friend heals up good, but lesson learned. Never jump into an unfamiliar, murky pool. A one foot "drop" doesn't matter at all, now does it?

BTW...you should have left out the killing the snake part.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.

No sympathy? At all?
    I edited that comment out. It was harsh since the person receiving the injury wasn't the one that killed the snake. It was heavily on my mind and I was sensitive to the issue since someone in our scout troop just did something similar when I was with them.

I admit that the comment was harsh and apologize for that part.

Also, did anyone notice that this was the exact same group that wanted to do Sleepy Hollow (and Pandoras Box) during the same time period?:

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...835#post555835

After reading of the experience in Echo (actually though anyone can break a bone anywhere, regardless of experience) and noticing the 40' rappel comments and the apparent trouble in Echo, it seems odd that this was the same party supposedly contemplating canyons like Sleepy Hollow and Pandoras. They also indicated that Spencer might be too easy and boring for them.

Sometimes the comments on these forums make me wonder if we are losing our decency, humanity, and our basic human kindness.
    You mean like killing the wildlife in a national park? That definitely fits the above sentence.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

8. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    we eyeballed it and decided to use the 100' rope. I rappelled last and noticed that there was about ~20' extra rope (our 100' rope was new, so I doubt it if it shrunk).
    Seems from your video that you had much cleaner water than what we had :) I couldn't spot that drop in your video.

In the video you will also see a snake that Hank and Sierra rescued from Echo. That snake was a very happy feller when they released him on a nice warm rock.

As a general rule snakes you meet in slot canyons, including rattlesnake's, are very docile because of the cool temperatures in the slots.

Tap'n on my Galaxy G3

I finally got a hold of some of the pictures. Here's a picture of my friend who managed to walk the last ~.5 mile of Echo + all the way down to Weeping Rock Trailhead with a broken fibula for ~5.5 hours!
    Note - I cropped his face due to some of the nasty replies from some folks on the thread...Just kidding :)
    Name:  Echo_injured.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  124.1 KB

12. Likes Byron liked this post
    Alright...that dude deserves Burly points.
    The end of the world for some...
    The foundation of paradise for others.