Thread: How different is vertical caving from rock climbing and rappelling?

How different is vertical caving from rock climbing and rappelling?

I'm curious.

I've been invited to do some vertical caving with ropes/harnesses, but don't know anything about rock climbing or canyoneering. Is there a way to get started and learn harness work really quickly?

Also, any important safety tips so I don't kill myself in a cave, since search and rescue hates and are often nervous about rescuing people in caves?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Safety tip #1

Don't go.

Unless you:

a) know what you are doing and can properly evaluate your own safety at all times during the trip;

or,

b) have good reason to put your life in the hands of the trip leader(s)

If you in any way feel that the trip is a bit of a gamble, why do it? A lifetime of adventure is possible, if you are alive :)

p.s. vertical caving is quite different from rock climbing and/or rappelling. Often, there are different hazards such as total darkness, entrapment, bad air, hypothermia, drowning, etc. in addition to the normal risk factors of vertical environments.

4. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Everything you do in a cave rope wise, should be something you have done a LOT of in daylight first. A cave is no place to be doing big raps for the first time, let alone changeovers and advanced ascending.

Seriously, get your friends or whoever you're going with to teach you these things OUTSIDE first.

LNT

6. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    I guess you didn't say where you are located, but if on the Wasatch Front you should contact the Salt Lake Grotto at: http://caves.org/grotto/slgrotto/

They currently have access to a several story warehouse facility they are calling "The Shaft". They have been running a vertical training there about once a week. Contact the grotto president, tell them that you are new but interested in learning, and I'm 99% sure they will hook you up with some great training.

Many cavers consider the ability to put on your own gear, ascend, changeover, and rappel in a controlled setting as a prerequisite for going on vertical caving trips. Since Nutty Putty was closed, we no longer have easy access to horizontal caves in the immediate SLC area. In response, the grottos have stepped up offering this kind of training as it is required for almost any cave in the area. Be prepared to put some time in above ground learning these skills. It may take you more than one visit to The Shaft in order to feel comfortable.

If you are not near Salt Lake, you can find your nearest caving club here: http://www.nssio.org/Find_Grotto.cfm