Thread: [Trip Report] Fat Man's Misery, Narrows Top Down, Mystery, Pine Creek, Keyhole

[Trip Report] Fat Man's Misery, Narrows Top Down, Mystery, Pine Creek, Keyhole

Wooo what an awesome trip!

Got into Zion saturday and went to Emerald Pools and Hidden Canyon. Talk about a zoo of people! Was pretty cool to see the rappel last rappel from heaps (no canyoneers, just the drop).

Woke up and got permits for the Narrows the next day. Got to Checkerboard Mesa for Fat Man's at about 9am, a little later than I wanted. Hiked down to the Canyon drop in, one group just finished the first rappel and another group pulled up behind us.

Coming from the San Gabriels the canyons in Zion are so much different! Mainly, harder! The downclimbs with stemming took some getting used to. We let the group behind us pass as they were flying through.

Got to meat anchor a couple times, and then reached a problem. There was about an 8-10 foot drop with an anchor that was extended with webbing, but it still required the rope to go around a couple corners. Thinking back on it I should have extended the anchor to the edge of the drop, or moved the deadman closer. You know what they say about hindsight. The large group (not the experienced group that passed us) asked for help with their rope. It was twisted acouple times and would not pull against the rock. I pulled the rope for them. My brain wasn't working fully and I thought "Oh, my rope wont get stuck" Wrong. My girlfriend and I got down and guess what, can't pull the rope. I pull out my micro traxion and tibloc and quickly get back up and get the rope. I try to use the backpacks but nope, not enough friction. Forget it, ill jump. Stung a little but all was ok.

The spring at the end of Fat Man was very nice after that cold swim. The hike out was the Misery.

Name:  P5250139.JPG
Views: 1864
Size:  167.2 KBName:  P5250159.JPG
Views: 1037
Size:  82.3 KBName:  P5250188.JPG
Views: 937
Size:  88.6 KBName:  P5250194.JPG
Views: 924
Size:  69.5 KBName:  P5250229.JPG
Views: 1007
Size:  130.2 KB

The next day was Narrows Top Down. I could not get permits for orderville which would have been preferred. It was a slog. Beautiful but a slog.

Next day was Mystery Canyon. We started a bit late (10am) due to being tired. We got the full 100
    Attached Images Attached Images                  

2. Likes harness man, hikster11 liked this post
  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That's a busy week for sure, way to get out there and get it done. Great pictures! I've never seen Fat Man's that full before, very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Cool. My group is doing Fat Man's in two weeks.

Question: Is there any water along the way? And how clear is the water in the river at the end? Not sure how much to bring and when/where we can purify on the go. I have a UV pen, but is the water too silty?

Quote Originally Posted by elenius View Post
    Cool. My group is doing Fat Man's in two weeks.

Question: Is there any water along the way? And how clear is the water in the river at the end? Not sure how much to bring and when/where we can purify on the go. I have a UV pen, but is the water too silty?
    I filled our bottles from the Parunuweap. There is really no other place to along the way. We used 3 liters on the way down and 4 on the way back up (group of 2). There were some parts very clear with no slit, but I would still recommend a filter. Maybe rent one?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkteeth View Post
    I filled our bottles from the Parunuweap. There is really no other place to along the way. We used 3 liters on the way down and 4 on the way back up (group of 2). There were some parts very clear with no slit, but I would still recommend a filter. Maybe rent one?
    Unless there have been recent rains, the water in Parun runs with little silt. But there are lots of cows and a few towns up above, so drinking un-filtered cannot be recommended. Easier-cheaper is Aquamira, though it requires a waiting period.

In this heat, 2 liters each on the hike out is pretty minimal. Might also bring some electrolyte substance to help make it more effective.

Tom

OP: nice TR - way to get at it!

Tom

Euro Utah enthusiast Michael_WB's Avatar
    We were in FMM two days ago, hiked in on 3 litres each and pumped (and tablet-purified) 3 litres each at the confluence with Parunaweap, hiking out from there to the car in 3hrs, arriving back around 6pm.
    We were also concerned about the rappel where you stuck the rope, but it pulls fine if you tug hard and smoothly, and there are no twists... a great canyon and I thought the hike back was beautiful, and really not too bad once the initial climb out done :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    For water concerns I use this: http://www.rei.com/product/866577/sa...i-water-filter
    I bring one standard on almost all my adventures, at only 2 oz it's almost as if you're carrying nothing at all. For low flow areas where filling the bag might be a problem I bring a small plastic spring water bottle with the top cut off to pour water into the fill bag. I love it!

Also in the mystery pic P5270669.JPG (second to last rap), the 500lb boulder behind skunkteeth and the rope, coming out of the wall on a slant, is it just me or is anyone else concerned about this rock? I examined this rock last week and it seems to be hanging on by a thread... It also looks like it has moved slightly in the last few years. I'm not a proponent of pushing rocks down cliffs especially inside a NP, but that'd hurt really bad if it landed on your head from +100 ft up, anyone else have an opinion about this?

12. Likes ratagonia liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkBad View Post
    Also in the mystery pic P5270669.JPG (second to last rap), the 500lb boulder behind skunkteeth and the rope, coming out of the wall on a slant, is it just me or is anyone else concerned about this rock? I examined this rock last week and it seems to be hanging on by a thread... It also looks like it has moved slightly in the last few years. I'm not a proponent of pushing rocks down cliffs especially inside a NP, but that'd hurt really bad if it landed on your head from +100 ft up, anyone else have an opinion about this?
    I've been looking at it for a couple years now. Yes it keeps shifting...

The problem is, if you yank that one out, the next one above is then poised for release, then the next one, and the next one.

Definitely not touching it...

14. Likes WorkBad liked this post
    Great TR. Pictures are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Unless there have been recent rains, the water in Parun runs with little silt. But there are lots of cows and a few towns up above, so drinking un-filtered cannot be recommended. Easier-cheaper is Aquamira, though it requires a waiting period.

In this heat, 2 liters each on the hike out is pretty minimal. Might also bring some electrolyte substance to help make it more effective.

Tom
    Like I said, I have a UV light thingy. I also always bring iodine pills as a backup. Either should take care of any bad stuff in the water. I just don't want to eat sand ;)

"There was about an 8-10 foot drop with an anchor that was extended with webbing, but it still required the rope to go around a couple corners. Thinking back on it I should have extended the anchor to the edge of the drop, or moved the deadman closer"

Body belay, and the the last person throws the rope down and just partner assist down in situations like this. We were in Fat Man's 2 weeks ago and it's an easy assist from below. If everyone keeps using the existing anchor, the rope grooves will be horrible. I really wish I would have pulled the webbing and ring out of it's existing location

Yea that is probably the best way to handle it. I could have had my girlfriend lower me then I help her with the assist down. I might be too big for her to assist my climb down.

The rope grooves were already pretty bad. That's another thing that surprised me about Zion. It is pretty sad the way the rock gets grooved (especially on angels landing and hidden canyon hikes).

How was Eaton flowing?
    Riverside Mountain Rescue Unit
    http://www.rmru.org/

Personal Website
    http://www.DrunkRedDragon.com/adventures.htm

Still flowing enough for a fun day, but overall low flow. Still a couple of jumps and good slides. Check for logs in the water, kids were trying to get up from the bottom using logs to climb. We moved some out of the water at some of the slides and jumps. The slide of faith is maybe 6 ft deep, maybe more. Not deep enough for me to slide. After the first person checks we rig the rope 4 feet above the water line and drop in :) Last waterfall maybe knee deep.

Trash seemed much worse than a couple weeks ago. We packed out 2 bags and wish we brought more. Hopefully the caltech alpine club has another grafitti cleanup soon, I'd really like to help.

OP: Nice TR man, you got a lot done!

Quote Originally Posted by 2065toyota View Post
    "There was about an 8-10 foot drop with an anchor that was extended with webbing, but it still required the rope to go around a couple corners. Thinking back on it I should have extended the anchor to the edge of the drop, or moved the deadman closer"

Body belay, and the the last person throws the rope down and just partner assist down in situations like this. We were in Fat Man's 2 weeks ago and it's an easy assist from below. If everyone keeps using the existing anchor, the rope grooves will be horrible. I really wish I would have pulled the webbing and ring out of it's existing location
    I might not be thinking of the right spot, but I think the taller guys can just stem down that after meat anchoring, yeah? Isn't it also pretty narrow? I think I have footage cause that's where one of one noobs took a dive... Ahh yes, here it is, last 10 secs has last guy going down.

Your safety is not my responsibility.

Not that spot. This one used to be a 6' downclimb to sand. It's all washed out now and 8-9' into a rocky bottom and about 10' wide and undercut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. Likes Deathcricket liked this post
    Great report, pictures, and a FULL week end!

Yup thats the spot toyota, can't stem down. The spot in the video above has a single bolt anchor that is above and behind your head when looking in.