Thread: Neoprene bootie - recommended thickness?

Neoprene bootie - recommended thickness?

How thick is your sock?

How loose / tight on your toe?

Any help here is appreciated!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I use the ones from Zacs. I think they're 5 mil. I also wear a wool sock inside them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

We use 5mm. Also take a pair of the long 2mm socks, cut the foot off it and and stack in over the upper portion. It goes farther up your shin and seals the top of the sock better to keep cold water from going in so easily.

5 mil neoprene socks inside my Canyoneers work well for me.

Neoprene bootie - recommended thickness?

I have wide feet and the Argos 5mm are to skinny for my feet. They restrict circulation and end up leaving my feet colder. I've had no cold days in my 3mm neos. My extremities are pretty cold tolerant though.

LNT

I prefer the 3mm as well, the problem with going much thicker (especially if you are wearing canyoneers) is that you then have to buy the shoe a size larger than normal and then you can't not wear them even in dry canyons. For me I can wear the 3mm with a regular sock underneath, or a thick wool sock and my canyoneers fit about the same.

True I have two pair.

Thx everyone.

I know there are a lot of factors, but what if the sock is too tight on the toe? Is it better to go w a bigger sock at 5mm or thinner sock at same size - assume that the toe box accommodates a larger sock without cramping.

I ask because I nearly lost a nail hiking to the drop-in for a top down Imlay trip. The boot was fine, the sock killed however.

Mine our bigger. Small hurt my toes.

Why would you wear the neos on the approach hike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good question... Implies that you wear something else. Never occurred to me until now that you've mentioned it.

Thus the post. Trying to solve a problem and getting good feedback.

Do you wear wool socks or something else OR ???

Wool or synthetic socks on ALL entry hikes for me. I use the Neosport 2mm and 5mm socks. I like them better than the Argos neo's personally. I use the 2mm when I am wearing a drysuit, it has booties and 5mm would be too thick, and 5mm at all other times.

I always have to size up a full shoe size to 13 since most companies dont make size 12 1/2 and the 5mm neos fit perfectly.

No neos for me unless I am participating in one of those dang fool Freezefests. Unless I am going to break through ice/snow, air temps are sub freezing, give me a good quality wool sock any day. As to your question re: tight or loose neos, having your neos too tight is a bad idea, at least for me. I like a little room in the toes for the swamp water inside the bootie to keep my toes warm. Too tight, as was said above, actually makes it worse with unnecessary foot pain and extra cold.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRock View Post
    Thx everyone.

I know there are a lot of factors, but what if the sock is too tight on the toe? Is it better to go w a bigger sock at 5mm or thinner sock at same size - assume that the toe box accommodates a larger sock without cramping.

I ask because I nearly lost a nail hiking to the drop-in for a top down Imlay trip. The boot was fine, the sock killed however.
    Like cotton, socks CAN kill, but so can long nails.

Best nail clippers ever !

p.s. wool socks for most canyons, 2mm or 3mm neos for the few canyons I do that merit neos, 5mm are nice for the really cold ones (e.g. Kolob)

Update thanks to toyota guy

I think wool socks are just as warm as 2mm and more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Likes hank moon liked this post
    Syn/wool socks mostly for me.

For cold water, 2mm neoprene over the socks.

For real cold (Imlay in winter), Sealskinz water blocker socks over syn/neo socks, 2mm neoprene to protect those. Toasty.

19. Likes ratagonia liked this post