Thread: Flash Flood Merry Piglet

Flash Flood Merry Piglet

We were in the North Wash this last Friday. We did Morocco and Merry Piglet and were planning on doing Hogwarts but were unable to because the rain. So here is a quick video my brother shot while we were in Merry Piglet.

We just completed the last rappel through the slot sections and then it opened up on us with hail followed less than a minute later by rain and waterfalls. This was my first experience with flash flooding. It's pretty eye opening how fast these things can come on!

Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13U6...ature=youtu.be

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We also saw a flash flood and I took video and photos of it. It was in a wide canyon though, and even so crossing the creek was still "exciting".

This begs the question though, why do a slot canyon when flash floods were almost imminent? There were flash flood warnings out all over the place. It was obvious flash floods were going to happen.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    We also saw a flash flood and I took video and photos of it. It was in a wide canyon though, and even so crossing the creek was still "exciting".

This begs the question though, why do a slot canyon when flash floods were almost imminent? There were flash flood warnings out all over the place. It was obvious flash floods were going to happen.
    +1

Why tempt fate?

LNT

I don't have a good answer for you, the skies above the drainage were clear aside from clouds gathering in the distance, we dropped into the canyon early to cut it short. Obviously in hindsight we should have just taken the approach back down. There was another group that was behind us in the canyon too and I'm sure they were caught in the narrows.

Obviously in hindsight we should have just taken the approach back down.
    It seems that better hindsight would be to not even plan or try any slot canyons when flash flood warnings are out. There were many warnings out that floods were imminent.

Anyway, watching a flash flood from a safe vantage point is always fascinating and spectacular. It's just important to stay out of the narrow canyons.

Although many people have been making mistakes for many years (all of us have), it seems to be getting more common to do canyons during flash flood warnings. It doesn't make sense.

Sometimes flash flood forecast change for the worse in a short time period and people are caught unexpectedly. This time though, it was expected and warnings were out in advance and flash flooding was imminent.

I won't beat anyone up over it, and won't say much more but it just doesn't make sense to do a slot canyon (any slot canyon) when flash flooding imminent.

Anyway, it's good to hear that you are safe. So far, only two deaths have been reported from this storm and none were canyoneers, so I assume the group behind you got out safely.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

[QUOTE=Scott P;558210]It seems that better hindsight would be to not even plan or try any slot canyons when flash flood warnings are out. There were many warnings out that floods were imminent.

Forgive my ignorance, would you tell me which weather services you subscribe to? All I had was the weather channel app and checked it on our way through Hanksville that morning and it didn't give any flash flood warnings, it told me there was a 20% chance of rain so I figured I would watch the skies... I'm not questioning that there was warnings out there I would just like to be better informed next time I head down to Utah.

Don't know which I like better watching you guys running in the flashing drainage, or rapping in the sandals. Fun video!

Forgive my ignorance, would you tell me which weather services you subscribe to?
    You don't need to subscribe; you can check them online or radio. If you wish, I suppose that you can subscribe.

Here is the most important:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...5#.U4QN-nJdWSo

This one is the spot forecast for those canyons in North Wash. If there is a warning or hazardous weather outlook, it is always in red near the upper part of the page.

See that there is even one now, but it isn't as serious and has to do with fire danger due to some high winds:

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...0#.U4QOaHJdWSo

Also, any weather station or weather radio will have them.

These are the weather radio stations for Utah for everything west of the Green and Colorado Rivers:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/stations.php?State=UT

Here they are for east of the Colorado River:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/gjt/?n=nwr

I don't remember all the frequencies/alternate frequencies/stations. Around here it's 99.7 FM.

Hanksville that morning and it didn't give any flash flood warnings, it told me there was a 20% chance of rain so I figured I would watch the skies...
    Friday's point forecast (NOAA) said the the chance was actually 70% for Friday night and 50% for Saturday for North Wash, but this was bumped up Saturday. If you're right that your app or whatever said it was 20% and gave no warning, consider ditching it.

According to the Weather Channel website they do post warnings and alerts live:

http://www.weather.com/apps/desktop-weather

If I'm reading the weather channel website correctly though (take a look), it appears you get warnings only if you are using Windows 8.0 and 8.1! That must by why it was missed. If so, maybe consider not relying on that app if they aren't going to post warnings or provide accurate forecast.

Also, maybe somewhere like North Wash won't matter as much, but it's best to check a point forecast (such as the above link) vs a city forecast. There may not be that big a difference between Hanksville and North Wash, but point forecast are much more important for drainages coming from the mountains, or that are different elevations from the nearest towns. It can make a big difference then.

I hope you find the above post useful. Let me know if there are any questions concerning warnings/etc., and I will be happy to help.

10. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post