Thread: Eardley, Zero Gravity Trip Report

Eardley, Zero Gravity Trip Report

Hey all,

I am new to this forum so before I do my very first trip reports I will let you know a little about me.

I live in Idaho and have been canyoneering for 5 years now. I don't get out as much as I would like to because it's a long drive but I have about 35 canyons under my belt mostly in the Swell, North Wash, and Moab areas and a few in Poison Spring and Robbers Roost.

Now to the good stuff.

We left Wednesday about 5:30 after my wife's doctor appointment (we were finding out what flavor baby we are having this time, it's a girl in case anyone was wondering) and headed straight for the Eardley Canyon trailhead. Arriving shortly after midnight we flopped out under the stars until morning. By 7:30 am we were making our way up the wash. There was four of us total on this trip Me, Aaron(my brother), and our buddies Alex and Ray.

Name:  IMG_2011.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  127.2 KB

Looking back east out the wash.
    Name:  IMG_2012.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  82.4 KB

And the approach... looks like this for around a thousand feet.
    Name:  IMG_2018.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  134.0 KB

Getting ready for action.
    Name:  IMG_2042.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  102.7 KB

The first pothole/rappel was pretty dry from what I remember it being like last time.
    The rest were a little lower than average.
    The second pothole had a bolt which I used to use for a handline down into the pothole, I'm pretty sure it would come loose if anyone put too much stress on it, pretty wiggly and loose.
    Third pothole was a short 10 foot rap to a ledge then a swim and easy exit.
    Name:  IMG_2068.jpg
Views: 974
Size:  88.1 KB
    We jumped the last pothole.
    Then completed the short rap off bolts to the last swim and out the canyon.
    Name:  IMG_2076.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  75.1 KB

It was a hot hike back to the car but nothing that wet shorts on your head can't fix.
    Name:  IMG_2085.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  102.8 KB

After a little R&R back at the car we headed back up the trail to the Zero Gravity trailhead.

The weather was perfect so we dropped everything except dry bags, water, and a rope to run through Sero Gravity. This was probably my 7th or 8th time through and the water levels were absolutely perfect at least as perfect as I've ever seen them.
    Tinky and Winky were full of water, so that got me excited. I love this canyon and taking people through who haven't done many canyons only adds to the enjoyment I get out of it.

The first swim.
    Name:  IMG_2092.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  72.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_2097.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  86.0 KB

The frogs are out!
    Name:  IMG_2104.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  45.0 KB

Some great swims! Water was actually really warm.
    Name:  IMG_2125.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  80.4 KB

The keeper pothole.
    Name:  IMG_2130.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  39.8 KB

The last squeeze out the birth canal section.
    Name:  IMG_2139.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  70.1 KBName:  IMG_2142.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  71.8 KB

The weather on Thursday was perfect and we had a great time pushing through Eardley and Zero G so we set up camp and planned the next day. We decided on Morocco, Merry Piglet, and Hogwarts for Friday. But you know how plans can change, especially with rain... I will post a trip report on these canyons as soon as I have more time to get the videos of some flash flooding ready.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Wow, shirtless through zero g- you must have tougher skin than I do. So is Eardley really worth the long slog hike in? Opinions seem to be strong on both sides.

Don't worry we suffered a few raspberries squeezing through the birth canal:)
    Eardley is not a canyon that I would want to do over and over again, the approach is really long when compared to the amount of canyon you get out of it, and if the water is low it can make for a not so spectacular day. That being said... I think everyone should do it at least once, and there is some fun to be had in the potholes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39665

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk